Saturday, February 22, 2020

Giorgio Armani Speaks Up

“I am tired of hearing about trends. They are nothing. I want to improve the woman who lives now. There’s all this musing about the past as a trend, but I don’t agree with it at all,” said a feisty Armani. “So please stop writing about trends,” he urged the journalists assembled backstage for a briefing about the collection. “Write about what [Alessandro] Michele did at Gucci, what Miuccia Prada did at Prada and what I am doing, but let’s not play this game. You should get to the bottom of it, what is the thinking behind what we do. Stop being dominated by raving about the Nineties [as an example]. I am at a moment when I can say what I think,” he added with a knowing smile.


“There is so much talk about women being raped, but women today are regularly ‘raped’ by designers,” said Armani, meaning that they are pushed to wear clothes that can be inappropriate and not fit for their age or size. “I am thinking of certain ads where women are shown in a provocative way, half naked, and many women feel pressured into looking like that. That for me is rape. It’s unbefitting. Look around, they think that by wearing black leggings and a bomber they become modern. Excuse my outburst and the strong words, but I felt like I had to say this,” he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment