Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Miuccia Prada Has The Sway To Pull Models Out Of Retirement

Miuccia Prada is known for her casting prowess. The Prada catwalk is where fashion editors look for the bright young things that will be everywhere next season, thanks to her model booker, Voguecontributing casting director Ashley Brokaw. But as well as pulling in an A-Z of new faces, Mrs Prada has the sway to lure models out of retirement.

Case in point: Lindsey Wixson at the Miu Miu spring/summer 2019 showon the closing day of Paris Fashion Week. The Kansas-born model, who was scouted by Steven Meisel at the age of 15 and swiftly rose to fame owing to her gap-toothed smile and rosebud pout, announced a change of career in the summer of 2017 at the age of 23.

“To all my fashion fans, I am sad to inform you that my injury has put me in a position to retire from this high-heel business,” Wixson explained of an ailment sustained to her foot when she was younger.


All, however, was not lost. “I have an artistic side that wants to shine through,” she continued on Instagram. “I feel that this disability has come to me with a purpose. To show me that I must carry on. This industry has brought me so much and I am grateful for the lessons I have learned. Now, more than ever, I feel it is important to listen to my body and the changing times of this industry and peacefully try to move on.”

Her endeavours at designing interiors, pottery, sculpting and carving started populating a renamed Instagram account @wixsondesign, but when Mrs Prada came calling, it appears Wixson couldn’t say no. Wearing a ruched bow-embellished grey mididress with Miu Miu’s signature bejewelled accessories, it looked like business as usual for the model-turned-potter.

Wixson might be considered young for self-imposed retirement and then to backtrack from it, but a slew of models have also returned to the runway with this season. Shalom Harlow, Kristen McMenamy and Gemma Ward have made appearances at the international fashion weeks as designers seem to have had a nostalgic turn and comebacks have become a "mood". Does Miu Miu mark a new modelling dawn for Wixson? There are few clues to be gleaned from her Instagram account, where she thanks Mrs Prada for having her, but there's no harm in the industry hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment