Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Pearls! Paint! Matty Bovan Lends Coach His Alternative Touch

Coach bags laden with pearls, paint, glitter and metallic foil – it could only be the latest installment of Matty Bovan’s collaboration with the American brand. The York-based creator has been reimagining Coach’s signature logo print with his distinct craft techniques since 2016, when his eponymous brand burst onto the catwalk under Fashion East's umbrella.

“Stuart Vevers [Coach creative director] has been amazingly supportive of myself and this whole project,” Bovan shares of the partnership. “The bags have given my collections an invaluable layer, and helped me to tell my story each season.” Indeed, aside from the “synergy” Bovan believes the brands share, Coach has opened up London Fashion Week’s rising star to a global audience. “It’s the first bag I have ever released and yes, it has given me a wider platform,” he admits.

Vevers has extended the customisable bag styles within Bovan’s reach to include the Duffle, as well as the Riley model he first gave Bovan creative reign over. Accordingly, Bovan has gone hell for leather, weaving personal stories into the bag shapes as well as adorning them with myriad materials. “Ever since I was a teenager I have scribbled on my hands and schoolbooks,” he explains of the striking motifs. “With the Duffle style, I have hand-drawn symbols of eyes with white paint to really stand out against the logo print.” 


The Rileys, meanwhile, are where the pearls come into play. "I think my illustration and embellishment looks super exciting on them,” he says of his new creations, which he loves most because they are “limited [in production] and rare, making them more unique.”

Which will Bovan be toting this season? “I love the Duffle for practical reasons, as it’s such a great shape and I fit loads into mine.” He might be known for his fantastical use of textiles and fabrics, but the Yorkshire wunderkind is a stickler for functionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment