Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Simon Porte Jacquemus Finally Reveals That #NewJob of His – He’s Launching Menswear

He´s a one, that Simon Porte Jacquemus. For the last few weeks, plenty of his 403,000 Instagram followers - not to mention whole swaths of the fashion industry - were left gagging as to what exactly he meant by his copious use of #NewJob. Now, in true Jacquemus fashion, we all know. He came out at the end of the catwalk of his autumn/winter 2018 collection wearing a beige sweatshirt with "L’Homme Jacquemus" emblazoned across it.

Speaking a few days before that show from his studio in Paris, Jacquemus filled Vogue in a bit more about the launch. But first off, all that teasing. “There were a lot of rumours,” he said, laughing. “That I was going to Céline, that I was going to Versace... Everyone thought I was going to another house but I’m staying at my own. You can have a new job even if it’s at your own house.”


He may have said that “it was a bit naive, me being a kid” to announce his news this way - “I’m having so much fun” - but, in fact, it underscores two things: Firstly, he’s super smart about how to use social media to promote who he is, what he does, and what he stands for - he’s perhaps the best example of brand-building using the digital world without spending a whole load of cash of any designer working today. Secondly, it’s kind of exhilarating and thoroughly welcome to see a designer poke a little fun at the industry’s never-ending soap opera of who’s going, who’s staying, who’s arriving. In our hyper-corporate, ultra-strategised, mega-controlled era, bring it on, we say.

And bring on his men’s, too. We’ll see it sometime in the middle of the year, though location and the exact nature of the presentation is TBD. What he did say was that he’s already done his first preparations. “It was so weird to do a fitting with a male model,” he said. “I usually drape the clothes directly onto the girl, but this was different... so I am learning something new. I don’t want to do the men’s exactly like the women’s. Everything comes from the heart with me, so I am going to discover myself as I design it. My woman was very naive when I started, and she became more sophisticated with time. The men’s is going to be same. It’ll be serious, even if I am not!”

No comments:

Post a Comment