Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Modelling’s Newest Sensation Is A Haitian Track Star With Superstar Potential

Aube Jolicoeur has got next. The 26-year-old Haitian newcomer might not be as recognisable as Bella Hadid or Kendall Jenner, but she has made each show memorable, whether stomping out in an acid-green wig as one of Jeremy Scott’s space-age muses or sporting Tomas Maier’s vibrant Bottega Veneta suits. Since experiencing a breakthrough last year at Marc Jacobs’s spring/summer 2018 show, she’s been on a roll, racking up work with industry legends like Steven Meisel, Fabien Baron, and Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott. For Jolicoeur, the journey from unknown to in-demand face has been surprising. “Being a little girl from a third world country and coming to America, I never would have guessed that I would have the pleasure of working with such [talented people],” she said during a break between shows. "Not in a million years!”

Born in Jacmel, Haiti and raised near the famous Bassin Bleu, Jolicoeur spent her early years immersed in outdoorsy pursuits, “surrounded by waterfalls and mountains.” When she was nine years old, her family settled in Kentucky, where she threw herself into her first love, dancing. “While my family couldn't afford to put me in dance class, I learned my own way,” says Jolicoeur, whose rhythm is evident in her distinctive walk. “To this day, you can always find me dancing.” She later developed into a champion runner - she still holds the speed record at her old high school - and once friends and neighbours began to suggest she model, Jolicoeur decided to give it a go, even though getting seen by an agency required a few road trips to Cincinnati. “It was the only place I could actually experience things remotely close to modelling,” she says.

Though she was determined to make a name for herself, Jolicoeur experienced setbacks along the way, including a life-altering car accident that left her with a crescent-shaped scar on her forehead. “The doctors said I was lucky to survive being struck by a car while crossing the street,” she says. She moved to New York at 20, and her career kicked into high gear after she made the choice to wear her hair natural. Having booked several seasons with Yeezy and subsequently landed on the radar of casting directors, she is now on track to be one of autumn/winter 2018’s top girls. The time it took to get to this point only makes her appreciate the accomplishment more. “Walking down the runway in front of so many people in the fashion industry with the spotlight so bright you can barely see your next step is the ultimate reward,” she says. “It reassures me that my hard work has paid off."


Here, the rising star talks dance battles, working with her heroes, and why she wants to give back to her community in Haiti.

On dance battles

“I ended up being in a dance battle with the Les Twins at the Miu Miu after-party while all eyes at the party were focused on us. That night was so much fun. That was my first ever after-party in Europe. With such a busy fashion week schedule in Milan and Paris, I didn't have a chance to party until that last night in Paris. I made sure to seize the moment.”

On working with legends

“Working with Steven [Meisel] was such a pleasant experience and full of surprises. Many models may feel a bit intimidated by him because he is indeed Steven Meisel, but I was very comfortable. He made me feel like he wanted me there. Not many models can say Meisel came up to them on set and kissed them hello!

[Likewise,] having the opportunity to be shot with Fabien Baron was really cool. This man has so much talent and his vision is just impeccable. Both are extremely organised, very particular, and have a clear direction on what they want. I like going to a shoot when I know it's going to be very professional, and that's them for sure.”

On staying punctual

“What I found the most challenging was making every single casting. Some take longer than others, and you inevitably end up missing a few of them. That was difficult for me, because I hate missing anything. I never had the opportunity before, and now that I have it, there is a lot of pressure, both internally and externally, to make a name for myself and exceed expectations. I feel compelled to see every client… they have to know Aube exists!”

On her charitable ambitions

“I want to help the poor and eventually start my own charity to help end poverty and homelessness. I want to mainly start off working on finding jobs and shelters for people without homes to help them get back on their feet. That's one cause I'm very passionate about. I'm a very sensitive person and I love helping others. Just walking down the street and seeing a homeless person, I will legit just break out in tears. I want to do something about it one day. I don’t trust donating to huge organisations, and find it more rewarding and impactful to go to the people in need and help them in person.”

On recognition

“[It was memorable] realising that my work is starting to be recognised and that some casting directors actually do their research. At the Versace casting, one of the casting directors told the rest of the crew “she just walked for Marc.” It was barely audible, but my hearing is pretty good. The whole time I was thinking, 'wow. that's pretty cool, she knows who I am!'”

No comments:

Post a Comment