Monday, June 10, 2019

Jennifer Lopez Discusses 20 Years Of Iconic Fashion At The CFDA Awards

The annual CFDA Awards ended with Jennifer Lopez receiving the Fashion Icon trophy. The honour suggests a natural sense of style, an instinct for risk-taking, and a sincere love of fashion’s transformative powers, but Lopez didn’t take much credit. She allotted most of her speech to talking about the people who have helped shape her look along the way, starting with Andrea Lieberman, who styled Lopez in the 1090s (and was responsible for that plunging green Versace dress – the very one, as Tom Ford pointed out as he presented Lopez with the award, that inspired Google to launch Google Images). She spoke about her current styling team Rob Zangardi and Mariel Haenn; her late beauty heroes, Kevyn Aucoin and Oribe (she tearfully dedicated this award to them); the neighbours she grew up with in the Bronx who introduced her to hip-hop; the many designers who have collaborated with her, from Oscar de la Renta to Ralph Lauren to Ford; her fiancé Alex Rodriguez, his children, and her children – whom she said “make me feel like the most beautiful person in the world just for being loved.”

“Tom, thank you for those beautiful words… I’ve respected you so much for such a long time, for your immense talent and creativity and your ability to reinvent. Like everyone here, I followed you through Gucci and YSL to [your own label]. You’ve really made it a powerhouse, and I know in our house, Alex [Rodriguez, Lopez’s fiancé] couldn’t survive without you. I’d like to think it was me that he can’t live without, but it’s you!

Receiving an award for the fashion image you put forward is a huge honour. But when you realise the power of fashion at such a young age, even subconsciously, you know it’s going to be a big part of our life. I think we all realise the power fashion has from the very beginning, when you wear your special dress and your daddy says, ‘Oh, you look so beautiful!’ or your grandma fauns over you. You understand that how people see you is important, and a lot of that is what you wear. But after I started my career and it expanded into movies and music, I learned that it’s much more profound than that. Whether it’s in a movie role or a music video that sets a trend for pop culture, or the red carpet, or transcending into a character, or giving you the confidence you need to perform in front of 20,000 people, fashion is about the powerful moments it creates that can inspire you and the world around you.

It’s an honour to be recognised by some of the most talented artists and designers in the world for simply doing what you love – thank you. I grew up in the Bronx – some of you may have heard. So of course I had to wear Ralph Lauren tonight, [who is] also from the Bronx! I know he understands a girl’s love of crop tops, ponytails, sparkles, and a little drama. Growing up there in the 1980s gave me my first fashion influences. As a girl I didn’t have a lot of clothes, but I would cut up my sweatshirts and jeans and make miniskirts out of them and I’d try to be like my idols – Madonna, Cyndi Lauper. I was also influenced by the people in my neighbourhood and the explosion of hip hop at that time. Being in the epicentre of that – the baggy jeans, the shell-toe Adidas and the Timberland boots. Plus lots and lots and lots of jewellery. Too much jewellery was not enough jewellery. Some things never change. And of course my hoops, I can’t forget my signature hoops!

But once I took the six train into the city and traded my Timberlands for Dr Martens and I cut my hair short, I did more of a downtown look and I realised there was so much more out there. And that continued to grow as I entered the business. I was exposed to Oribe and Kevyn Aucoin, who worked with all of those supermodels I looked at in Vogue magazine. So when I had the opportunity to choose my hair and make-up artists for my first album cover shoot, magically, there I was in the room with them. I also grew up with a deep love of Hollywood musicals from the 1940s and 1950s, the glitz and glamour of Ava Gardner and Marilyn Monroe… So with those two doing my hair and make-up, and Andrea Lieberman, who was my stylist for so many years and exposed me not only to the designers of the day (but also to those of the 1960s and 1970s, like Halston, Balenciaga, Courrèges, Valentino, Alaïa) – it was like a playground for me. A literal dream come true. I started making records in the 1990s in the era of the waif and the supermodel, but once I was introduced to those people, my life changed. Sitting in the design rooms of Oscar de la Renta and Versace, Gucci – people who designed and allowed me to get into their designs, for a woman with curves like me… To say I was like a kid in a candy store is an understatement. And slowly, curves began to be embraced, and girls wanted to combine street style with couture. I’m grateful to all of you for that.


We lost two of those great artists Kevyn Aucoin [in 2002] and Oribe this year, who helped turn me from an around-the-way girl to a girl who could grace a magazine cover. Together we created the most iconic looks, and I’m forever grateful. Tonight I’m dedicating this award to them.

I’ve been a little sentimental lately because this is a special year for me personally. I’m about to start a tour in celebration of a big birthday. It’s also the 20th anniversary of my album On the 6, and yes, it’s almost been 20 years since that green [Versace] dress. Since that moment, green has always been my lucky colour. [That dress has] been around for 40 movies, 11 albums, a couple of babies, a couple of divorces, but countless great moments. And as this night shows, there is so much to look forward to.

Before I end, I want to give a special thank you to some people who have been in my life for many years. When you’re in this business, you need people who understand you and don’t try to change you, and for me in the fashion arena, those people are Rob Zangardi and Mariel Haenn, my stylists. Rob and Mariel, you understand me so completely. I know I drive you crazy, but we’ve translated that into so many unforgettable moments. Our collaboration means so much to me, and I’m lucky to have you – thank you so much.

To Scott Barnes, my make-up artist for years who looks at fashion and completes the picture like nobody else – there aren’t enough words. Thank you to the rest of my glam fam, there are so many talented artists I’ve gotten to work with – Lorenzo, Chris Appleton, you guys know who you are. I’d also like to thank my family, my babies Emmy and Max, Alex, Tashi, and Ella – you guys make me feel like the MVP every day. You make me feel like the most beautiful person in the world just for being loved. Thank you to the CFDA for this incredible honour and the designers in this room and this industry. You have added immeasurably to my personal and professional life. Thank you for having collaborated with me, embraced me, and shared with me the best of your art, your creations, your style, and mostly, your kindness and love. I’m forever grateful— thank you so much.”

No comments:

Post a Comment