Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Could Iris Law Be The Next Voice Of The Transparent Fashion Movement?

Iris Law is coming up to her “last push” at college. Exams are looming and deadlines are due. The 18-year-old student is feeling “quietly confident” about signing off on her English Literature, Philosophy and Art courses, however, as she has put in the hours. When her modelling career began climbing a steady ascent, she instated a “basic rule of not missing any school”. Brands, such as Burberry, and editorial titles, including Vogue, had to wait until weekends and holidays to work with the driven young adult.

Law is particularly proud of her final design project, which is grounded in her interest in sustainability. “My upbringing [she is the daughter of Jude Law and Sadie Frost] made me a very inquisitive person,” she says. “I was always encouraged to ask questions and try new things out – this has really come through in my art and textiles.” The dress she has crafted is made from recycled sari silks that she stripped and turned into yarn before naturally dyeing and knotting it together. “I didn’t think of a pattern, I just freestyled it,” Law explains. “Creating the material was easy, as I love the process of weaving fabrics I’ve repurposed, but it took me nine hours to do the comprehensive knotting”

If Law isn’t wearing vintage or pieces procured from the shoots she takes part in – “I love getting my hands on anything I can” – she’s dressed in clothes she colours herself. She’s a dab hand at foraging plant-based products that will hold the hue as well as their synthetic counterparts. “Red cabbage is my favourite,” she divulges. “Berries, paprika and tea are also great.”


Techniques such as these allow her to put a conscious stamp on her wardrobe, because, she believes, “it’s hard to find sustainable versions of clothes you actually like” – plus, she’s still working out her personal style. “I use my clothes to play the character I want to be or to project how I want to feel that day,” she muses. The prized haul she inherited from her mother – “a great Burberry trench, lots of Vivienne Westwood heels, camis and knitwear” – provided a solid base to build upon. “My parents were eccentric and free with what they were wearing,” she notes. “I like to channel that feeling, so apart from androgynous looks in winter and retro dresses in summer, there’s not much continuity in what I wear.”

The creatives (she won’t name names) who populated her home when she was in her early teens inspired her to pursue fashion as a career. Have her parents’ circle served up any sage words of wisdom? “Do what I do to the fullest,” states Law. She still lives with her mother in west London but, after a summer spent relaxing, she’s going to start saying yes to the labels queuing up to work with her. “I’m very lucky to be approached by prestige brands and you'll see me in some exciting projects soon,” she teases. Her burgeoning portfolio will no doubt inspire her own work as a budding designer. Will we see a raspberry-dyed version of the slips she covets from Frost's twenties wardrobe, we wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment