Thursday, August 28, 2014

Farhi: I'll Never Return To Fashion

Nicole Farhi is very firmly a former fashion designer, and the London-based creative - who left her eponymous label a little over two years ago - couldn't feel further removed from her old world.

"No. Never. Never," she asserted of the possibility of a return to fashion. "I don't look down on what I've done - for 40 years I was a fashion designer, and every day I enjoyed what I was doing. But I don't want to spend time thinking about fashion. I don't find it important - that important. I haven't shopped since I left two years ago. I haven't bought one T-shirt."

Nicole Farhi
Now a sculptor about to unveil her debut exhibition,From The Neck Up.Farhi has adopted a spirit of pleasant indifference to the brand she once helmed, reminiscent of another time in her life.

"It has been bought again - I don't know the people who own it; they never contacted me," she told The Sunday Telegraph."It's my name though, I know. But when I was 18 and a student living in Paris, all over the city there was this hairdresser called Nicole Farhi. So my name was out there. I always thought, how odd! It's my name, but it's not me. And that's exactly how I feel now. 

If I pass a shop that is called Nicole Farhi with clothes in the window that I haven't designed, it's not me any more. They're not doing what I used to. I have no connection with that Nicole Farhi over there. Me, I'm the sculptor now."

No comments:

Post a Comment