Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Dani Michelle On What It Takes To Be Kylie Jenner’s Stylist

From Eve (yes, “Who’s That Girl?” Eve) to Kylie Jenner, stylist Dani Michelle’s career trajectory has been nothing short of steep since she transitioned from everyday clients to celebrity clients four years ago.

“I work around the clock,” the Sunset Boulevard-based dresser tells Vogue of her current roster of seven stars, which includes Jenner, Kourtney Kardashian, Erika Jayne and Édgar Ramírez. “It's a vicious cycle from 7am when the first emails come in to 9pm when we finish unpacking clothes and organising the showroom – everyday.”

As well as navigating the changing schedules of her septet – something she refers to as a “jigsaw puzzle” – the job is equally weighted between street style and events. “It’s an overall package, because people want to see a celebrity looking cool all of the time,” she explains. “And my clients always want to feel fresh, like they are on the cusp of what’s cool.”

Michelle’s phone is the source of inspiration and communication on her quest for “coolness”. A team of assistants and interns shares references and designer looks on Instagram 24 hours a day, and she is in constant communication with her clients via text. A new celebrity look can happen in minutes, and the rush is almost intoxicating. “There are so many highs and lows associated with the job, it is definitely an addiction,” she admits. “The minute I check my phone my stomach flips. The day I got engaged I was running around, taking phone call, after phone call, after phone call. I was so overwhelmed that I forgot to take any photos!”


Her personal concern with “making sure that everyone is happy” is what motivates her to have 17 conversations about a single garment, coupled with the thrill of empowering young businesswomen. She started working with Jenner after she gave birth to Stormi Webster in February, just before the 20-year-old topped Instagram’s rich list and made Forbes' richest self-made women index for the first time. “It is so thrilling,” Michelle smiles. “Clothes, hair and make-up are like armour, they are a layer of confidence when you have a massive number of fans and people critiquing you. To see them glowing when they walk onto a stage or they are caught by paparazzi and know that I am part of that means the world to me. To see them empowered, empowers me.”

Michelle has never been star-struck, because “everyone is just a girl or a guy with the same issues that we all have” about getting dressed, and fundamentally they are doing business together. “I see them as individuals and if we can build a friendship on top of working together that is an incredible bonus.”

Her goal moving forward is to document the “coolest clothes and craziest accessories” that come briefly into her possession. Eleven years ago, she had no idea that styling was even a profession, and now she has over 50,000 followers waiting to see what shoes she’ll source for the Kardashians next. “It blows me away, I need to share the world in my office more.” Before that happens, there’s more DMs to answer. “I just care so much about my job,” she says with a laugh that’s almost as infectious as her work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment