Thursday, May 11, 2017

Chloë Comes To The Rescue

Famous for perfecting the elusive easy-meets-considered aesthetic so many of her contemporaries and younger fanbase craves, Chloë Sevigny is the undisputed poster girl for authentic vintage cool. So much so, that Vestiaire Collective has tapped the New Yorker to curate an edit of her favourite vintage pieces from the site that it hopes will inspire its clients to discover pieces they never knew they needed.

It seems like a match made in e-commerce heaven given Sevigny's connection with the category. Having been a thrift-store devotee since she was a child, 42-year-old Sevigny told us that growing up vintage fashion wasn't just about wearing something unique, it was about connecting with like-minded style aficionados.


"When I was younger, shopping vintage gave me a sense of community - places to meet other weird kids and kindred spirits," she said. "Love Saves The Day - an old thrift store on 7th Street and 2nd Avenue (made famous by Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan) - was one of the first places I would go when I came up to the city from Connecticut and I loved seeing how other people were dressing. There was no street style or street chic then like there is now, so it was amazing inspiration and gave everyone a sense of belonging."

As astute as she is stylish, Sevigny has certain rules when it comes to buying vintage. "There's a max I would spend, and it's about $800," she said. "People might be surprised to hear that, but I'm actually pretty frugal and try and keep to a budget on individual pieces because I spend so much collectively." She also doesn't allow herself to impulse buy, preferring to take her time when considering an item and leaving it down to fate if it's there when she returns. She cites Relik and One Of A Kind in London; Screaming Mini's and Love Saves The Day in New York; and The Wasteland and The Way We Wore in LA as must-visits (the latter of which she jokes that it's impossible not to shop, "because there's not a lot else to do!").


Current items on Sevigny's shopping list include a Chanel suit ("I'm deconstructing it in my head and seeing if it could work"), while the one vintage piece that she has worn every day since she bought it is a gold Rolex - which she has recently had customised to black as "gold doesn't feel so appropriate right now" - and she confesses to always searching for tops. Unsurprisingly, one thing that she does not need is advice.

"I'm pretty good at self-moderation and I don't really need anyone to tell me what looks good. It kind of annoys me in a shop, actually, when sales assistants go, 'Oh that looks cute,' because I'm like, 'Uh, I know!'" she laughed. "Like when I throw something on over my jeans and they're like, 'You'll get a better picture of what it will look like if you took those off' I'm like, 'Uh, I think I have a pretty good idea, thank you'," (an attitude that is, conveniently, perfect for online vintage shopping).

No comments:

Post a Comment