Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Ashley: Why 2017 Is The Year Of Beauty Beyond Size

I’ll never forget the moments before my very first photoshoot as a professional model. I was 13 years old, sitting in the car with my mom, praying and thanking God that I had been given this opportunity. I thought to myself, “If this is the only time I book a job, I’ll be grateful.”

And just like that first job, I’ll never forget the many career “firsts” that have followed: my first time getting a manicure on set (someone is coming to me to do my nails?!), my first time walking down a runway, my first time trying on the lingerie that I designed, and now, my very first Vogue cover - something I never imagined was even possible when I started working 16 years ago.

It’s incredible how being myself - with all of my curves and imperfections - is seen as ground-breaking. In a world fuelled by filters and the pursuit of perfection, it seems like keeping it real has become avant-garde.

The most rewarding part about the honour of being British Vogue's January cover girl is knowing how many lives we are changing. I'm hearing from thousands of women that they don’t feel invisible anymore, that they now feel that they have gotten their seat at the table. I feel even more inclined to continue my mission of beauty beyond size with the support of Vogue.


That's why this barrier-breaking cover means so much to me. Not just because I get to see myself gracing this British Vogue cover, but for all the women who have heard "no" all of their life. This is a triumph for us all, and a beautiful demonstration of how we used our voices to create change, because loving ourselves at every size and shape is not a crime, it's a right.

Sadly, we’ve all witnessed at least one not-so-body-positive exchange online or in person. We live in a world where others feel that it is okay to police our bodies. Too fat, too thin, too muscular - not close enough to "perfect". As women, we immerse ourselves in “self-improvements,” which becomes an endless pursuit to renovate our bodies. We are told that thick hair is beautiful, yet thick thighs won’t get you a boyfriend. That full lips are sexy, yet full arms should be covered and hidden away. But in reality, a lot of us actually like ourselves as we are!

At an early age, my mom showed me by example that confidence is sexy - even if it pops over your bra strap a bit. “Confidence is your most alluring possession,” she would tell me. “It is way more powerful than your appearance.”

It's only right that we close out the year and start off 2017 with a cover that makes a deep impact. This past year has been a whirlwind of wins - I’ve continued to make strides in championing beautiful curvy women and I now have my own Barbie that is measured to my own standard of perfection. I've been confident enough to speak up and show out for the curvy girls of the world, and I encourage more women to do so as well - to own your bodies unapologetically. We’ve set the tone for 2017. We have more work to do, but we’ve declared that thick or thin, beauty beyond size is our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment