Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Cara Discusses Struggle With Depression

Cara Delevingne discussed her struggle with depression during her modelling career in a series of tweets posted last night.

She took to Twitter after many expressed surprise at this week's announcement that she is the face of Saint Laurent's latest campaign, given the broad media speculation that she had stepped back from modelling last year to focus on acting. Clarifying the rumours once and for all, Delevingne wrote: "Can we just set the record straight… I never said I was quitting modelling."

The 23-year-old continued, "I do not blame the fashion industry for anything… I suffer from depression and was a model during a particularly rough patch of self-hatred." Acknowledging the changes that she has made, her tweets concluded: "I am so lucky for the work I get to do but I used to work to try and escape and just ended up completely exhausting myself… I am focusing on filming and trying to learn how to not pick apart my every flaw. I am really good at that." 


It isn't the first time that Delevingne has spoken candidly about her battle with the mental illness. During an interview with actor Rupert Everett at the Women in the World Summit last October, she read a poem that she had written about her experience, explaining: "I wrote this when I wasn't very happy, a year ago, but if you know depression it comes back. It's a reoccurring thing." Hoping to raise awareness of mental health issues and to encourage those suffering to seek help themselves, she disclosed the severity of her struggle. "I got to the point where I went a bit mad. I was completely suicidal, I didn't want to live anymore," Delevingne said, before revealing that she had found solace through confiding in others - including fellow model Kate Moss - seeking professional support and taking up yoga and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment