Thursday, December 26, 2013

Nicolas Ghesquière For Vuitton Confirmed

Louis Vuitton has named  Nicolas Ghesquiere as its new creative director. The designer - formerly creative director of Balenciaga - will begin his role immediately.

"Louis Vuitton has always incarnated for me the symbol of ultimate luxury, innovation and exploration," Ghesquière said today. "I am very honoured of the mission that I am entrusted with, and proud to join the history of this great maison. We share common values and a vision."

Ghesquière added, in an interview with Suzy Menkes for the International Herald Tribune today, that he feels that all his past design roles have been leading towards this point.

"I am so happy," he said. "It is an excitement. A feeling that what I lived before was preparing me to do this."

The French designer succeeds Marc Jacobs - who was in charge for 16 years and turned the brand from a luggage and accessories emporium into one of the bestselling luxury labels in the world - after he stepped down in October to focus on his eponymous line as it heads towards an IPO.

"I have a lot of respect and admiration for Marc Jacobs," he added. "He made Louis Vuitton relevant in fashion and will always be known as the first designer of the brand. Among the many things that he did there were the artist collaborations that have become some of the fundementals of the brand. I am very proud to succeed."

Nicolas Ghesquiere
Vuitton said Ghesquière would bring "a modern creative vision to the house's women's collections, building on the values of refinement, savoir faire and extreme quality," WWD reports - and it is hoped that he will bring a new era to Vuitton in the same way he did at Balenciaga.

Ghesquière also refused to rule out launching his own label in the future: "This is something I always think about, since I started; that maybe one day I will do my own name. But not now when I was asked to do something so fantastic."

No comments:

Post a Comment