Thursday, December 26, 2013

Introducing Fashion Wunderkind Missy

Melissa Jade Aiello was just nine years old when she set up her T-shirt label Missy X, her nickname. Three years later, she has made a solid business out of drawing portraits of famous personalities - from Karl Lagerfeld and Anna Wintour to John Galliano and Donatella Versace.

Melissa Jade Aillero
"Fashion is really important to me because it defines who I am," Missy told us. "If I go to school in sweatpants, people would be surprised. I did actually do that once and everyone said, 'Why are you so regular today?' Fashion is interesting to me and drawing fashion people is even more interesting."

Missy was born in Nottingham, but moved to New York in 2010. When she was just seven, she started to copy illustrations from her colouring books. Before long, her family became her subjects and her mother, a freelance casting director, developed the idea of printing the drawings onto T-shirts. She created an illustration of Karl Lagerfeld in 15 minutes, although most of her work takes an hour to produce. The 12-year-old works on a commission-only basis, but she's quite discerning when it comes to choosing what she will and won't draw.

"I said no to Justin Bieber because they're cheesy," she said. "There are too many boys like Bieber - there's also The Wanted and One Direction. I draw people I like and think are interesting. Every time I draw someone new I learn something interesting - like I learnt that John Galliano used to work at Dior for a long time, but got sacked. I really liked drawing Donatella, she has a really interesting face."

Currently, the T-shirts are only available to buy on special request, but there are talks with a major stockist to bring the label to a bigger audience. Missy is keen to become a full-time designer when she leaves school, but for now, she has plenty to keep her occupied.

"I already do tote bags, but I've got a few ideas of more areas I'd like to work in," she said. "I think maybe notebooks, key chains, necklaces and mugs would be good - we'll see."

No comments:

Post a Comment