Saturday, October 5, 2013

Meet Moziah Bridges: Fashion’s Young Boy Wonder

You may have already heard of Moziah Bridges - the determined 11-year-old set up his bow tie business when he was just nine, and attracted fashion press around the world after he gave Fox News one of his first major interviews. But Mo, as his friends and family call him, is only beginning - he has plans for fashion domination. And, quite honestly, we don't doubt him.

"I plan to go to Parsons School of Design in New York City and have my own clothing line by the time I'm 20," he told us. "I know that can happen because I'm doing great already in the 6th grade. I want to be a big famous fashion designer one day with my own label. Pretty soon, I'm going to make neck ties and blazers and ascots."

Memphis-based Bridges started wearing bow ties when he was nine, having been introduced to them by his father and grandfather. He soon spotted a gap in the market for styles that he liked and developed the idea of a fashion label called Mo's Bows.

"I really liked to dress nice," he said. "I used to wear regular neckties and I wanted to kick it up a notch and start wearing bow ties because, well, bow ties are cool."

His grandmother taught him to sew ("It took me a few months to really, really get good at it and I'm still not perfect"), and he soon began selling his bow tie creations to family and friends. An online business soon followed, and he has, to date, earned $30,000 from his small company.
Moziah Bridges
"After I started the business on the internet, some people from different news stations wanted to interview me and then before I knew it, I was all over the world with my bow ties," he said.

Bridges has a philanthropic streak, too - he launched the Go Mo Scholarship Bow Tie earlier this year, with all proceeds going to help children go to summer camps.

"I used to see kids always playing in the street in the summertime and getting in trouble, so I thought it was a good idea," he said. "I wanted to give back to the community and support other kids like people support me and my business."

His hero is Ralph Lauren because "he started being a businessman at the same age as I did", and we wouldn't be surprised if his career followed a similar trajectory. Would he like to one day host his own fashion show like Ralph?

"Oh my gondala," he laughed. "That would be amazing, I would really really, really like that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment