Friday, October 4, 2013

David Beckham For Calvin Klein?

David Beckham almost starred in a Calvin Klein campaign with Natalia Vodianova - but he was just too famous in Britain.

"The guy we used for those ads with Natalia was an athlete. I had wanted David Beckham," Calvin revealed, "and we had discussions with David's people and they said, 'You can have him for the rest of the world, but you can't have the UK because he's too popular.' I said, 'We do business in the UK. What am I supposed to do there? Use someone else?' So that was a no. They weren't ready. So we got this other guy instead."

David Beckham
Natalia eventually appeared with footballer Freddie Ljungberg, who at the time played for Arsenal. Hopefully they got along better than Kate Moss and Mark Wahlberg who -Calvin reveals in an interview with fellow designer Marc Jacobs for Interviewmagazine - were not the best of friends.

"I didn't want anyone else. But he was trouble," Klein said of Wahlberg. "Oh my god. He and Kate couldn't stand each other."

"I bet," Jacobs replied. "Well, Kate doesn't love a lot of people so much... She's very picky."

"I had a tough time with her, too," Klein admitted of Moss. "From the very beginning. She had gone through some difficult times, and it sometimes came through in the work and in the attitude... She ended up being really great, though. But the earlier stuff was part of that whole opposite wave."

Klein also tells a deliciously revealing anecdote about Moss's relationship with her then boyfriend Mario Sorrenti, who Klein observed was "obsessed" with her.

"What happened is that when I met Kate, and she told me that she had a boyfriend, I said, 'Who's the boyfriend?' And she said Mario Sorrenti, and I said, 'What does he do?' She said, 'He's a photographer.' I said, 'Oh, why don't you ask him to come up. I'd like to meet him.' So he comes up and he shows me his stuff. Obsession [Calvin Klein's fragrance] was going down the toilet at that time - the sales were really sliding - and the fragrance company said, 'You have to do something.'

So Mario walks into my studio and he's got a book with him. So I said, 'What's that?' And he said, 'Those are my private pictures of Kate.' I said, 'Really? Can I have a look?' And I look at the pictures and it just says to me Obsession - he was obsessed with her. So I said, 'Why don't the two of you go to an island alone and you just photograph her and let's see what happens.' And that's how I got all of it. I just got so much from Mario and her. Taking a chance, taking risks with the photographers and the models."

No comments:

Post a Comment