Tuesday, March 1, 2022

This TikTok Designer Upcycles Designer Bags Into Just About Anything

The designer says upcycling and sustainability are why he began making things in the first place. “I started to create upcycled NBA pieces for myself, and I wasn’t able to duplicate them at the time,” says Cho. “This inadvertently forced my ‘business model’ of reworking the customers’ items.” And given he loves pulling off the unexpected, he says he’s never short on ideas for future projects. “Every day I’m making something new for someone,” he says.

Below, Cho discusses how he started sewing, his favorite creation, and his next new big idea.

What made you want to start creating on TikTok, and what did you want to bring to the app?

I had a lot of friends telling me to get on TikTok because of the whole upcycle trend. I saw a lot of fun DIY pieces being mixed in with a lot of really well-constructed, classier pieces—and I play in both of these lanes. I make really fun, artsy pieces that are constructed meticulously well. All I had to do was capture each step in its entirety. A lot of designers can do the work but don’t sew anymore, so I knew I could show off behind the scenes through construction. Finally, I wanted to bring the energy and the vibes.

What’s your process for creating TikToks, and where do you get ideas?

I sew every day for about 10 to 12 hours, creating custom pieces for clients or building collections with other brands—so the content is there. I film everything now. A lot of my custom clientele comes from Instagram, so they see my work and say, “I want that, but my way.”

You were an accountant before you started making things. What inspired the switch-up?

My older brother was running his own company at the time. I was seeing his daily life and just wanted that so bad: The freedom to do what you want on your own time. He was the catalyst, urging me to just make one piece at a time. I slowly learned how to tailor my suits from my dad’s tailoring company while I was an accountant. At this point, I was 24 years old, an accountant, and going out every night. Wanting more to life, I learned that I had to really go for it instead of using this newfound practice as a hobby. I started sewing more frequently and upcycling old NBA jerseys I had collected in high school. Finally, gaining feedback outside my friends and family propelled me mentally to believe that I could be an artist.

All your pieces are often upcycled. Why is sustainability important to you?

I’ve been fortunate to be a part of the sustainability movement as a designer because my whole premise around sewing started with that. I started to create upcycled NBA pieces for myself, and I wasn’t able to duplicate them at the time. This inadvertently forced my business model of reworking the customers’ items. The premise was now stronger: There was sentimental value added that was not offered elsewhere.

What’s been the favorite thing you’ve made so far, and why?

Recently, I’ve been in love with furniture and reupholstery. Clothes have a shorter lifespan than furniture. Furniture can be used and appreciated by all. The first project I did was for my friend Luxury Tax 50 in April ’21. I reworked four old armchairs with extra fabric, all of which we found. Two weeks later, he brought in an old Ikea couch he got from an estate sale, and I asked if we could “do the most.” I used 150 bandanas I had leftover from an older project to reupholster the couch.

What’s been the most challenging thing you’ve made so far, and why?

My biggest challenge came early on in my full-time design career when I first moved to L.A. in 2019. An old friend of mine was now the brand coordinator at the University of Miami, and they needed a 20 x 10 canvas-style wall made out of Adidas cleats, which they were then going to paint a mural on and hang in their recruiting center. The University of Miami sent me 200 pairs of cleats. I deconstructed 400 individual shoes and sewed a pattern of 16 rows with 25 shoes on each. This is my proudest achievement because I was able to do this in my 500-square-foot apartment in three weeks, solo. Literally, an insane project for anyone to do, without having to consider the time frame.


 How do you manage to replicate iconic designer bags out of virtually any fabric? How did you get so good?

I had the privilege of dissecting designer pieces and bags when I got sent items to upcycle into bags. Wanting to design more, I needed to learn true pattern making. I was blessed by a friend who gave me a crash course one day and it was back to the lab again. I owe a lot to YouTube and those endless nights of powering through frustrations and the love of creating the next new thing.

How often do you do custom orders?

Every day I’m making something new for someone. No flex, but I’ve been booked at least three weeks out at a time for the past three years. So I’m trying to amend that and cater to more people a bit faster while maintaining the fact that it’s coming from my hands. I have my new collection of bags and chill pants coming soon.

What does your own closet look like? How would you describe your style?

For the first two to three years, I rarely made myself anything because all my time was spent making pieces for everyone else. My closet was gifted items from all the brands I worked with along the way, and old vintage pieces that were donated to me because I was the “upcycle guy.” However, through three years of making bags, my personal bag collection is solid. Lately, I’ve been making pieces for myself. I would describe my style as “sports meets comfort.” In the past, my style was business casual, and now I’m chill—lots of sportswear and streetwear.

What has been your most viral video, and why do you think it went viral?

My most viral video was a rework of a client’s LV Keepall that she got from her mother and asked to upcycle into three bags. She planned to gift one of the bags to her mother. This went viral because of the sentimental story, the designer bag, and the detailed construction of the final bags. I also believe the hypeness in my voice was pretty on par with what was going down. And not to mention there was speculation about the bag’s authenticity, so that stirred up comments.

What’s your favorite TikTok of all time? And which one took you the longest?

The ones that take the longest usually are pieces that I love and am pouring everything into. Extremely detailed videos, like the Lil Uzi Vert pillow, where I hand-embroidered his face tattoos and executed the 2D face of the pillow to look 3D. My favorite TikTok was the one where I made a dog collar out of Gucci scrap leather for my cute pup, Kali. This is my favorite because she got a cameo!

What’s the next big idea you want to attempt on TikTok?

I want to keep collaborating with these global brands, making timeless art pieces while packaging together what I finally want to release as a ready-to-buy collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment