Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Ludovic De Saint Sernin On The Sexiest Swimsuits Of 2021

Ludovic de Saint Sernin made a name for himself back in 2018 with his sexy fashion and "genderless" wardrobe that combines French chic with poetic design. As a finalist for the LVMH prize, he presented his first ever collection that made shockwaves with its celebration of the male body and bold designs like the jumpsuits composed of hundreds of pieces of ceramics and woolen knitted jockstraps. A year later in 2019, the designer designed his first underwear collection which featured a standout model that became an LDSS iconic piece: the eyelet brief.


The first swimwear for women

The style this summer is all about freedom after months of lockdowns and Ludovic de Saint Sernin is no exception. With his ultra desirable new swimwear collection, the designer is revisiting his iconic eyelet brief with a version for women, his first ever. We met Ludovic de Saint Sernin to learn more about these new desirable, timeless and sexy pieces.

What were the inspirations for this swimwear collection?

Ludovic de Saint Sernin: "I went to Lanzarote with my boyfriend and some friends a few months ago, and that was when we thought about launching this new swimwear collection. The landscapes were breathtaking and the colors completely otherworldly. This inspired me a lot in the choice of the color palette for this new season: brown, terracotta, khaki, beige...”

Why did you choose to introduce women's pieces for the first time in this swimwear collection?

LDSS: “Our men's swimwear has a very strong male fan base, but more women are following our work and want to wear LdSS too. So it felt like time for a female version of our famous Eyelet Brief. There are so many more possibilities on a woman's swimsuit, it was really exciting to create this bikini and discover a new universe.”


Who is the Ludovic de Saint Sernin woman?

LDSS: “I am still discovering for myself who she is. I think she will reveal herself by herself. Essentially, she is free, sensual, and in love.”

Can you describe your universe in three inspirations?

LDSS: “I like to describe LdSS as a celebration of love, sex, and freedom. These are values that are close to my heart and are directly reflected in my inspirations.”

Why are nudity and sexuality so important in your work?

LDSS: “Beyond nudity and sexuality, I think it's more about dressing and undressing the body. It's about the balance between what you want to reveal and what you want to keep secret. This balance between sensuality and elegance is essential for me to create a signature LdSS silhouette. My job is to reveal the body and accentuate it. As for sexuality, it is part of our lives and our identity, creating clothes that celebrate it is also a way for me to assert myself, to discover myself, and to share.”

Can you tell us more about the creative process behind this collection?

LDSS: “When we thought about the bikini, something rather magical happened. I took the men's briefs, the design that helped me become more well known, and I opened them on the women's stockman and gently loosened them. I placed it on the chest and it immediately created a bra shape that was quite unique and immediately recognizable.”

What a beautiful coincidence..

LDSS: “I love that kind of coincidence, it was like evidence. And for the bottom, I wanted something sexy and timeless at the same time. Each color we chose represents a destination that is close to my heart. And when you buy a bikini, it's usually with a trip in mind. Naturally, the idea of their names started from there: the terracotta swimsuit is called Sedona (it's in Arizona, a magical place where we shot the campaign), the brown is Lanzarote, the sky blue Positano, the black Fire Island, the beige Marrakech, the white Mykonos, and the khaki Tulum.”

What signatures of Ludovic de Saint Sernin can be found in this collection?

LDSS: “We obviously find the eyelets and the lace that are intrinsic to the LdSS style, as well as the shape that is inspired by our iconic men's briefs.”

What are the 5 pieces that every person should always have in their wardrobe?

A small Swarovski crystal necklace for a touch of sparkle
A cool and sexy little knit
A pair of LdSS lace-up jeans
Some sneakers
A small bag because I don't like to have stuff in my pockets

Who are your ultimate female and male icons?

I am a big fan of Kaia Gerber, she would look amazing in the swimsuit. And for the man, Justin Bieber obviously!"

No comments:

Post a Comment