Friday, March 29, 2019

Victoria Beckham’s Latest Reebok Trainers Are For The Whole Family

Victoria Beckham still remembers the cool kids in school wearing Reebok classics, and so, when it came to conceiving the trainers in her capsule collection for the sportswear giant, inclusivity was at the core of the development process. “It was important to me to design a unisex trainer,” she tells Vogue exclusively of the new Bolton Lo shoes, which drop on March 15. “When I was growing up, I always wanted to wear the same trainers as the boys, so I created something my whole family could wear!”

Upon the launch of her spring/summer 2019 collection, her youngest son, 13-year-old Cruz, told his mother he wanted a pair of the kicks she had designed. “This is a kid who logs on every Thursday morning to see what Supreme products have dropped,” she laughed at the time. “He knows about trainer exclusives all around the world and he likes mine!” What does the sneaker head think of her latest launch? “My kids have a great sense of style and I trust their opinion, especially in sportswear,” she says of putting the Bolton Lo to her brood. “I thought, ‘I’d love to design [another] trainer that they’d want to wear’ – and they do!”


The style builds on the technical prowess the designer built while working with the Reebok design team and the knowledge she accrued after road-testing every product during her two-hour daily exercise sessions. “I wanted to design a trainer that looked good but that was also functional,” she explains. “The Bolton Lo mixes the relaxed attitude of streetwear with the practical performance of sportswear. The minimal design and bold colour scheme stay true to my fashion brand.”

Trainer enthusiasts might recognise the silhouette and moniker as a mirror of the Bolton running shoe that Reebok launched in the ’90s. After it caught Beckham's attention in the archives, she decided to modernise the trainer with an engineered knit upper, reflective taping and multiple lace options. The original overlays give it that ’90s authenticity that she still thinks about, however.

“Every time I go into a product category, it’s because I want that thing in my life,” Beckham noted after the collaboration first came to light. Expect to see the Bolton Lo on the fitness enthusiast and indeed the whole family soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment