Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Introducing Winnie Harlow

Winnie Harlow has come a long way since America's Next Top Model. The 22-year-old has become one of the most recognised faces on the international fashion scene and a vocal advocate of body confidence, frequently giving honest and inspiring accounts of living with the skin condition vitiligo. As she is announced as one of this year's Red Nose Day ambassadors for Comic Relief, we caught up with the Canadian-born star to talk dream projects, body confidence and dealing with those tabloid rumours.


What made you want to get involved with this year's Red Nose Day campaign?

"It was an honour to be involved with Comic Relief and I love the fact that it supports charities in the UK and globally. There are so many issues in the world so it’s great that it treats them all with such urgency."

How do you choose projects like this? You must get approached so much.

"I always try and choose projects that really resonate with me. When I learned more about the work Comic Relief does I was really moved. I think everyone should do their part when it comes to charity so I jumped at the opportunity."

What is on the horizon for you in 2017?

"I’m just excited to work more - Fashion Week, editorials, campaigns, the whole lot! I love modelling and the fact it’s given me the opportunity to have a voice too. It really is a dream and although it can be very tough, I’m very blessed to be in this industry."

What would be your dream fashion project?

"So many! Any project that pushes boundaries is a dream. I would love to do a collaboration with Dior for example. I love how the brand is classic but in the same breath always so new and fresh and really speaks to me as a millennial. I would also love to walk for Victoria’s Secret and become the face of a make-up brand. I think they are the dreams for most girls."

What’s your earliest fashion memory?

"Falling in love with my grandmother’s leopard-print tights because they were so different. I enjoyed watching my grandmother in her sewing room creating outfits for herself and her friends."

How would you describe your style?

"I like to try new things when I'm going out. On a day-to-day basis I enjoy wearing matching gym gear (my daily uniform) mostly because it gives me the push to work out more often. When I go out or when I'm working on the red carpet, I love a full-glam look: colours, lace, beading, diamonds and sparkle - the whole nine yards!"

Whose style do you admire and why?

"I'm currently loving A$AP Rocky's style because I like the way he switches things up. I feel like he's very adventurous while staying true to who he is and I love that."

Do you have a motto?

"I just try to live my life every day with a few main things: honesty, respect and love. Those things are very important to me and help me grow."

Do you have a mentor?

"I call Nick Knight 'my fashion godfather' as he was the one who really made me want to model after we worked together. I have so much love for him and his wife Charlotte. They are the best."

You have become more prominent in the last year - do you pay attention to tabloid rumours about your social and private life?

"I'm not blind to the tabloids so now I try not to fixate on anything anyone else says for better or worse. It’s so easy to have pre-conceived notions of how people are when you read stuff about them so I try to ignore it. I know myself and so do my loved ones and I think that's what matters most."

What is the most important thing to you right now?

"The most important thing to me is my career and my loved ones. I'm very focused on both. I love to be away and travelling for work, but then love going back home to Toronto to spend time with my family. Having a balance is important. This year I want to take more trips with my family and friends."

And finally, why is your Instagram name Don Pablo?

"I really enjoyed the series Narcos on Netflix because it reminded me a lot of Scarface which is a favourite movie of mine. I think our favourite characters have an impact on our lives and I personally like to channel the boss character of Pablo or Tony. Sometimes you just have to boss up in life!"

This year's Red Nose Day T-shirt collection is available online at Tkmaxx.com and Rednoseday.com from tomorrow, February 1, and exclusively in TK Maxx stores nationwide from February 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment