Thursday, November 23, 2017

Olivier Rousteing Talks Balmain X Victoria’s Secret

Victoria´s Secret has tapped Balmain creative director Olivier Rousteing to create custom looks for its annual catwalk spectacular, and a capsule collection to launch in stores on December 6. Ahead of the unveiling, which marks the first time the brand has partnered with a fashion house on an in-store collection, the designer told Vogue how the #VSxBalmain tie-up came about.

“The Victoria’s Secret team have been invited to my Balmain shows many times, and I have also been a guest on the VS front row,” he said backstage. “A year ago they came to me and said, why don’t we do something together? We came up with the punk theme, which is something really new for me.”

Of where he found inspiration, the Frenchman said: “There are so many reference points for punk, from books to editorials in Vogue. I regrouped a lot of ideas I had in my mind for Balmain, as I channel a lot of rock ‘n’ roll in the collections.”


Of course, his Balmain army, the gang of girls who religiously star in his campaigns and the models Victoria’s Secret calls upon to bring star factor to its runways, were happy to consult for him. “I always listen to my girls," he said. "They all come from different worlds, different backgrounds, different ethnicities and different agencies. Some have kids, some are new faces. I learn from every one of them.”

Naturally, his army will model the collection, which features diamanté, netting and tartan heavily on the underwear sets. “My favourite piece is the Michael Jackson-inspired jacket Romee Strijd will wear in the show, depending on whether the rotation changes.”

Tune in to the November 28 airing of the catwalk extravaganza on CBS to see close-ups of the collection on the runway, and cut-outs of what to expect in store come December below.

No comments:

Post a Comment