Friday, February 5, 2016

Manolo´s Muses And Shoes Come To Mayfair

Manolo Blahnik is almost as famous for his fabulous anecdotes as for his fabulous shoes - and grinning as he holds court in his new store in Mayfair's Burlington Arcade, his stories are as colourful as his heels.


My woman is usually someone strong; someone who just doesn't even think about it. They wear the shoes and they just become themselves.

"I remember one night in New York, Sarah Jessica was wearing my shoes while she was pregnant and the next day, she had her baby," he laughed as he showed us around the new space. "She said, 'You know, your shoes have induced my baby!'"

The boutique itself is large compared to many in the bijoux arcade - with three floors of retail space reaching over 1,000sq ft - and is decorated with antique-inspired detailing melded with splashes of Blahnik's signature brights. It's been 44 years since the opening of his first, and until now only, London store - on Chelsea's Old Church Street - and the wait for the right place makes up the lion's share of the reason behind the half-century delay.

"I don't belong to this kind of crowd who have money injected by big companies or conglomerates, I never wanted to do that, but we did want to open another shop. I always knew that I wanted to wait until I found somewhere that meant something to me, and this place did," he said, gesturing towards the Georgian arches that punctuate the arcade's tiled walkway. "The arcade is not exactly what it used to be, but I adore it. I used to come here all the time, when I was young, and look at cashmere or the shoe shops. Most of what I do is still by hand, so we feel at home here."


Despite Blahnik's insistence that his affection for the arcade was what sealed the deal, it's clear that having a store in W1 will prove a huge practical asset to a business that has previously shied from ubiquity, and perhaps not enjoyed the growth it deserved as a result. While Louboutin and Choo rode the Sex and the City wave into every major department store, Blahnik has remained resolutely artisanal in feel. Despite being worn by everyone from Rihanna to Anna Wintour, Blahnik's creations are still much more difficult to come by than many of his competitors' shoes - although the designer is adamant that it was never his aim to cultivate an air of exclusivity.

"Anybody can wear my shoes," he nodded. "Anyone. It's about transformation when you put them on. My woman is usually someone strong; someone who just doesn't even think about it. They wear the shoes and they just become themselves. I love Rihanna - the way she moves, she's a beauty. When I see the reaction women have to my shoes, even in the store, of course it makes me feel great."

From Carrie Bradshaw's wedding shoe in every conceivable colour to patterned confections so delicate they're like sweets for the feet, it's fair to say that the offering housed in this Willy Wonka-worthy shoe heaven will have Blahnik's fans feeling just as great for years to come.

The new Manolo Blahnik store is now open at Burlington Arcade, 51 Piccadilly, London.

No comments:

Post a Comment