Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Five Minutes With Olivia Palermo

As Olivia Palmero´s collection for Nordstrom launches online and instore, we grabbed five minutes with the lady of the hour to talk high-low dressing, playing favourites, and the most beautiful dress she has ever worn.


Why did you decide to do the collection - and what was the best and the most challenging thing about working on it?

"Nordstrom is one of the most respected retailers in the US. Growing up, I enjoyed going in and seeing their well-curated retail store in Palm Beach. They were and still are at the forefront of most other retailers. The best thing was the creative process and working with Tom Young, senior design director at Nordstrom Product Group, and the design team. The most challenging was trying to create something special that is well-made with quality top of mind, and doing that while trying to stay within a certain price point. We're making it work!"


The collection works as a whole wardrobe, that you could just pack and go - what pieces are you looking forward to wearing?

"I really like the military vest and the sleeveless suede trench from the collection because they are perfect layering pieces. They are both very versatile and they can be worn as a vest or as a dress, mixing them with other pieces in one's wardrobe to create looks that you can wear throughout the year. A statement coat or vest is always a focus for my personal look because I think a vest or jacket adds dimension and completely elevates an outfit."
The offering is very affordable, was this a priority - and what were the biggest challenges to achieving this?

"Everyone knows I love high-low dressing. Mixing and matching is a part of fashion and when I started work on the collection with Nordstrom, I thought about how I like to shop. I want to get both the suede vest and the amazing knit instead of choosing one over the other. I wanted prices to be accessible enough that our shopper could buy both and pair them how they want. Fashion has changed so much in the last ten years with how women shop and mixing low and high price points, but when you find something that's good, it's good."


Did any of your friends in the industry give you any helpful advice when you were working on it?

"Once I've done the final edit, I look to the two or three people who are closest to me for their feedback. Sometimes I take their advice, and sometimes I don't."

What's your favourite thing that you've ever worn, and why?

"Pretty much any Valentino look I have worn. The quality and fit is consistently good."

What's next for the collection? (please say shoes ;-)

"You'll have to wait and see, but it get's even better. I will be trying to up the ante with each collection! No shoes, just apparel."

You can shop the collection on Nordstrom.com from over 200 countries worldwide now.

No comments:

Post a Comment