Friday, May 28, 2021

10 Minutes With Supermodel In The Making, Damian Hurley

“It feels strange being referred to as a model,” says Damian Hurley about his venture into the fashion industry. But, of course, as the 19-year-old son of actor – and ’90s style muse – Liz Hurley (that iconic 1994 safety-pin Versace dress springs to mind), he’s no stranger to the spotlight.

Hurley – who stands 6ft 1in tall – signed with prestigious modelling agency IMG earlier this year and has already bagged two campaigns with Pat McGrath’s make-up line. But he’s been making waves on Instagram since he was a teenager. “When I was 17, I got a call saying that [fashion photographer] Steven Meisel wanted me in New York the next day to front a new campaign,” he says. “I’d never modelled before, but in a moment of madness I agreed, flew out, did the shoot and made it back to school in time for my first class on Monday.”


Fashion, as expected, was always on the cards from day one

“Our parents love to say that Brooklyn Beckham and I were caught raiding and trying on our godfather Elton John’s sunglasses when we were extremely young.”

Off-camera, he and his mum like to kick back with zero inhibitions

“Both my mother and I are incredibly scruffy by nature. The second we’re not being photographed, we revert to slobbery with alarming ease.”

The original supermodels are the ultimate inspiration, of course

“Naomi Campbell is a force of nature, I worship her. She went out of her way to look out for me when we worked together last year and I’m always blown away by her professionalism. Helena Christensen is the sexiest woman on the planet.”

Having worked with some of the most notable photographers, there’s bound to be more on the horizon

“I just shot with Mert [Alas] and Marcus [Piggott], part of the team that photographed some of my mum’s coolest editorials, and we’ve wanted to work together for ages. Luigi and Iango were inspiring to work with; they put me completely at ease while controlling every detail.”

He carries the essentials with him at all times, including a mini cologne sample

“My pockets are always overflowing with my phone, wallet and chapsticks. I also carry a tiny test bottle of cologne. Scent is very important – it can instantly wake you up and make you feel sexy.”

For summer 2021’s wardrobe, don’t expect too many clothes

“I spend far too much of the summer naked. I love the sun and hate tan lines. For warm nights, I love all things Jacquemus. Anything light and linen.”

It’s not worth worrying about the glamorous parties anymore – it’s about making time for people

“As things are slowly starting to move again, my friends and I are realising how stressed we used to get about parties and going out. Now, I’m just excited to see humans again and don’t have the energy to worry.”

If you want to be a model, having the right team is absolutely crucial

“It’s important to be at an agency you’re comfortable with. My wonderful agents suffer hours of me stressing without complaint. If you don’t have a supportive team behind you, then it can feel daunting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment