Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Karl On Why He'll Never Leave Chanel

Ahead not only of today's Chanel show in Paris but also of the opening ofMademoiselle Prive - a new Coco Chanel exhibition at London´s Saatchi Gallery -Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman met Karl Lagerfeld, for an interview that appears in the magazine's November issue. Almost as closely associated with Chanel as Coco herself, Lagerfeld has helmed the label for more than 30 years - as well as being in charge of Italian label Fendi for more than half a century - and it seems he's not in a hurry to vacate either post.


"I think I'm pretty lucky that I can do what I like best in perfect conditions. I don't have to fight with anybody. You know my contracts with Fendi and Chanel are for life?" he revealed. "And I don't feel tired at all. I hate slow people. Horrible."

"I never mix them up in my mind," he told Shulman of working between both houses, as well as for his eponymous label. "That is the secret of the story. First of all, I prefer not to analyse why or why not. I have the feeling that when I am doing Fendi I am another person to when I am doing Chanel or my own line. I have no personality. I have three. I never ask myself questions. I try to find answers. It's a very pretentious line, no? I am in a way like a machine. I have electronic flashes, it's true."

Incredible as it may seem that he could balance so many major commitments for so long, Lagerfeld revealed that he has no interest in the DNA testing that some have suggested he should undergo - to find out if there is something exceptional in his make up that allows him to function so effectively.

"I was asked by somebody to do this," he said. "Because they think I'm not normal. But I flatly refused. Unique pieces are unique pieces. But I think very flattering, huh? And also I was asked for skincare for men because they think I am remade. But I am not remade. I am all fake but not remade."

No comments:

Post a Comment