Saturday, January 24, 2015

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty Extended

To end the week on a high note, the V&A has announced that it has extended the duration of the forthcoming Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition by two weeks, taking its run to August 2nd this year. As if that wasn't enough, the museum has also released an additional 50,000 tickets to meet the huge public demand and revealed that it plans to open early and close late so to facilitate as many visitors as possible.

"With just two months to go, we are seeing an unprecedented demand forSavage Beauty but we also wanted to reassure people that there are still tickets available," said Martin Roth, director of the V&A. "We are committed to providing access to as many as possible during its 20-week run and so pleased to now offer many more opportunities to see this magnificent show in London."
McQueen
Since tickets went on sale last year, 30,000 have been sold to date, breaking the museum's record for the most ever advance sales - and people will be coming from far and wide. So far, tickets have been bought online from McQueen fans from every continent and 57 different countries with the highest number bought outside the UK coming from America, followed by Ireland.

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, in partnership with Swarovski, supported by American Express, with thanks to MAC Cosmetics and made possible with the co-operation of Alexander McQueen, runs from 14th March - 2nd August 2015.

Rihanna Wins Topshop Battle

Rihanna has won a court ruling in London today, which bans Topshop from selling T-shirts bearing her image.

The garments, released in 2013, featured an image of the singer without her authorisation, and Rihanna subsequently won a legal battle with the store after the judge agreed that the items fell foul of "passing off" laws, and were likely to cause confusion for customers. Arcadia, which operates Topshop,then appealed this ruling in 2014, the result of which was passed down today.

Rihanna
"This judgment affirms the principle that use of a celebrity's image on a product could mislead the public into believing that it is officially endorsed by that person," Arty Rajendra, Partner at IP law firm Rouse Legal, said today. "It's a natural update of the law of passing off in the modern world - celebrity merchandising rights are extremely valuable, and huge investment is often made into cultivating and sustaining a particular image. It's right that unlicensed manufacturers should not be able to take advantage of that investment and that customers are not deceived into thinking they are buying 'authorised' products."

Topshop has one more right to appeal, through the Supreme Court, which could prove challenging and costly, meaning that Rihanna may have won the war as well as this latest battle.

Karl's Long-Lost Sister On Her Little Brother

Karl Lagerfeld´s older sister,Christiane Johnson, who he hasn't seen in more than 40 years, has spoken for the first time about the designer, asserting that she bears no ill will towards him for their lack of contact, conceding that he must be "really busy". The 83-year-old, who lives in Portland, Connecticut, revealed that Lagerfeld last visited her in the Seventies - arriving in a limousine which impressed the town's residents - but still writes to her to this day.

Comparing his relationship with the models that surround him to family in an interview last week, Lagerfeld clarified: "It's a choice, it's not an obligation. There's a big difference. I have a sister in America who I haven't seen for 40 years. Her children never even send me a Christmas card." But the grandmother-of-six has only good things to say about her little brother, and fond memories of their childhood in Hamburg.

Karl in the 1960´s
"As soon as he could hold a pencil he would paint," she told The Daily Mail. "He would love to find old pictures and paint on the other side of the canvas. He liked to read, he was intelligent and thoughtful. He would be up in the attic painting while I was playing in the street. He was obviously artistic but to me he was just a kid brother."

"I'm not angry, I know he's really busy," she said. "He lives over there and I live here - it's just one of those things. I have the phone number for his kitchen but that doesn't do me any good. Then there's the six-hour time difference. He's knows I've got grandchildren. My children don't remember too much about him. They would like to meet him again - we all would... Things are complicated. You have to have an airplane to go to France and when they come here it's so programmed that he doesn't have time for anything. He's very busy - how else do you make that sort of money? You can only do so much."

Lagerfeld's most recent letter to his sibling ruminated over the pair's ages and what he has achieved: "I just cannot believe that you will be 83 and I will soon turn 81. Yet I am busier and more successful than ever. That is really incredible. Normally, people like me are retired for a long time but all of my deals, Chanel, Fendi etc, are for life."

"I read the stories about him in the papers but I don't pay attention to the negative things,' she said. "He's my brother and I'm proud of his success."

Thakoon: Ten Years Later

TIME flies - when you work in fashion.Thakoon Panichgul celebrates 10 years in the industry this year (he was a fashion writer first) and to mark the occasion the designer has officially launched a full handbag line.

"I've been working towards this for a while but I wanted to do it right. For me bags are more subtle and even more a part of a woman's wardrobe than clothes - they're an investment. A bag has to work with the clothes," said the designer this week, making a whistle-stop visit to the capital to toast his anniversary before getting back to prepare for New York Fashion Week (for which he tells us he's in a fantasy mood).

Thakoon
"Ten years is actually a long time, but it's actually short in fashion, so it's really a second phase," he said, reflecting on the fashion moments - the highlights, the mistakes and oddities - that have joined him along the way.

"There have been so many. I think I'm a true fashion person at heart and I always loved looking at fashion magazines. To be a part of this is still humbling," he recalled - confessing that he felt like he was "poser" when he worked as a fashion writer and though he was adept at writing a caption or two ("Because you'd have to communicate so much in something short"), it was hanging out in designers' studios that he loved the most. Weekend internships with them, plus classes at Parsons School of Design and his fashion transition was complete.

"There was a moment when I went to the premiere of The September Issue and I didn't know what to expect and I didn't even know the role I had in the film. Everyone in the industry who I respect was there. Sitting there watching them watching me was a crazy moment," he remembered. Has he watched the film since? "I haven't, I won't watch it."

Film roles aside, Thakoon's focus is on the expansion of his much-adored label - bags the first step, more with his secondary Addition ine and a store eagerly in his sights.

"For me it's important to create a visual language to all customers over the world and a store would definitely do that," he asserted.

Alessandro Michele Confirmed At Gucci

IT is the news that we have been waiting for - even if we might have already guessed: Gucci has confirmed that its head accessories designer, Alessandro Michele, is its new creative director.
Alessandro Michele
"After a considered and thorough selection process, Alessandro Michele has been chosen to assume the role as Gucci creative director, based upon the contemporary vision he has articulated for the brand that he will now bring to life," Marco Bizzarri, president and CEO of Gucci, said. "Alessandro and I are fully aligned on this new contemporary vision needed by the brand and we will be continuously inspired by that new identity in our respective roles and duties. 

Alessandro's talent and his knowledge of the company and the design teams in place will for sure allow him to move quickly and seamlessly in implementing his new creative direction for the collections and the brand. The Gucci men´s autumn/winter 2015 collection presented on January 19th which was realised thanks to a remarkable collaboration between the men's design and production teams, is a clear indication that the brand is ready to take a new direction."
Gucci
Following the announcement that former helmer Frida Giannini was stepping down, names of prospective replacements abounded around the industry (with even Tom Ford being brought into the mix.) But after her abrupt departure one month early; the news this week that the autumn/winter 2015 menswear collection had been completely redesigned under Michele's leadership; and the very poignant fact that it was he who took a bow at the end of Monday´s show. Gucci's new direction appeared to be a done deal.

"Gucci is one of the leading contemporary fashion brands and whatever they do is both interesting and influential in both ready to wear and accessories," said Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman. "I am excited to see what Alessandro brings to the company in his new role."

Michele has been at the label since 2002 and worked closely with Giannini during her tenure. His first womenswear offering for the brand - which, presumably, will also mirror his change in direction - will be unveiled during Milan Fashion Week next month, with all eyes on the new graduate from the Gucci ranks.

"Throughout its history, Gucci has always created attention and excitement through its innovative and distinctive products and collections as it has become Italy's most renowned fashion house and one of the most iconic and prominent luxury brands in the world," François-Henri Pinault, chairman and CEO of Kering, added. "Alessandro Michele has both the qualities and the vision necessary to bring a new contemporary perspective to Gucci and lead the brand into an exciting new creative chapter of its history."

David Beckham's H&M Wardrobe

We  know what David Beckham´s underwear looks like, thanks to his Bodywear collection for H&M, but what does his dream wardrobe looks like? Now we know, as the star has once again teamed up with the high-street store to create Modern Essentials Selected by David Beckham.
David Beckham
"I am thrilled to continue and extend my collaboration with H&M by selecting my favourite pieces from this spring's Modern Essentials collection," enthused Beckham. "Each piece is a new wardrobe classic that will update every man's spring wardrobe with great style. Marc Forster is one of my favourite directors - I can't wait to reveal the new campaign with H&M."

Forster himself is just as complimentary of the retired footballer.  "Most of us are familiar with David's innate sense of style and design, however, it was his acute eye for cinematic storytelling that struck me during the filming of this campaign," said Forster. "He doesn't make H&M clothing look good, he makes it look great."

The new edit - which also coincides with the release of Beckham's latest Bodywear collection - will be available at H&M from March 5. See him in action for Forster below.


YSL Comes To UK

The first ever Yves Saint Laurent exhibition to be held in the UK is coming to County Durham this July. The Bowes Museum and the Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent - which is headed up by Pierre Bergé, the designer's partner - have collaborated to bring the retrospective, entitled Yves Saint Laurent: Style is Eternal, to British soil.

"The Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent is committed to the promotion of the work of Yves Saint Laurent internationally, and as such it is extremely exciting to work on this first exhibition in the UK," said Bergé. "The Bowes Museum is a natural destination given its exceptional work with fashion and textiles; the museum and its location also clearly reflects Saint Laurent's, and my own, passion for inspiring, timeless places. It is the perfect setting for us - a museum built as a French chateau, in the age of the Second Empire."

Comprising over 50 of the designer's most iconic and well-known garments, the show will give a comprehensive outline of his inspirations - and how he inspired - throughout his diverse and illustrious career, including his time as creative director of Christian Dior.

Yves and Pierre
"We are honoured to host the first exhibition in the UK of Yves Saint Laurent, one of the most influential fashion designers of all time," said Joanna Hashagen, the museum's fashion curator. "We are also thrilled to work alongside the Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent on an innovative display that will introduce a dialogue between the designer's body of work and the museum's collection. This certainly is a great moment in the history of the Bowes Museum, as well as for fashion display in the UK."