Thursday, June 16, 2016

Why Donatella Won't Keep Quiet

Donatella Versace is unfazed by the conversations surrounding her recently released autumn/winter 2016 ads.

The designer said of the campaign, shot by Bruce Weber and starring models Karlie Kloss and Gigi Hadid as presumed young mothers (both hand-in-hand with children and partners), "My name is Versace - I don't know how to do things quietly, that is just my blood and my family." Speaking to The Telegraph, she continued: "We make a noise, shout loud, never hold back on our opinions. This is why our campaigns have always been so bold, because my family has always provoked. Life would be so boring if we all did the same thing."

Since they were unveiled, the adverts have elicited much discussion. Whilst many have praised the portrayal of a racially diverse family, some have commented that the depiction of the two as mothers could be deemed unrealistic given the model's ages - Kloss is 23 and Hadid turned 21 in April. Versace, however, explained her reasoning behind the idea and how it fits in with the luxury brand's ethos.


"With my collections, I've been thinking more and more about the real life of Versace, and the complexity of women's lives," she said. "They run their own business, look after their family, travel, share time with friends, all often in the same day. I wanted to show the fullness of the Versace life in our campaign."

Given her ideals for the fashion house, the choice of models was obvious it seems. "I love Gigi and Karlie because of their amazing strength of character," the designer explained. "They are their own women who will not compromise their individuality for anyone. I wanted to create imagery that was all about their brilliant individuality."

No comments:

Post a Comment