Thursday, May 19, 2016

Why Gisele Wouldn’t Be A Model Today

Gisele Bundchen may be the world's highest-paid model, but if her career were beginning today rather than in the mid-Nineties, she admits she might have chosen another path.

"If I had to start modelling today, there is no way I would ever do it," she told Access Hollywood. "I'm like a little crab, I just like to stay inside my home, and everything is just too much for me."

Speaking about the early years of her career, the model shared that her first nude shoot aged 18 was almost the end of her fledgling career, since she thought it would be the last straw for her parents.

"So, I'm in this position," she said - re-enacting the pose of the now famous Irving Penn shot that appears on the cover of her book, released last year. "And I was so stiff, I was so scared, I wasn't even breathing because I was so terrified that if I moved something was going to show more. I was thinking my parents are going to kill me. Oh my god, they are going to bring me back home. They are going to say, 'What are you doing taking your clothes off, come home right now.' And then, when the picture came out, I was telling my agent, 'Oh my god, buy every copy of the magazine! Do whatever you have to do! My parents should never see this!'"

Fortunately, the experience didn't see her dragged back to Brazil, and in fact was by no means her last naked or nearly nude shoot. While the supermodel concedes that the offer of a $25 million contract from Victoria's Secret may seem like a "no brainer" now, she insists that back then the decision to tie herself to the brand was more difficult.


"In 1999, there wasn't really a cross over between fashion models and catalogue models," she explained. "I remember having the conversation with my agent and she said, 'You really have to make a decision here, because you might never do a magazine cover again.' But I was 19 years old and I thought to myself, 'I don't know how long I'm going to be in this business, I think I need to take this contract, because that will give me financial security.'"

"We have a great relationship and I've been blessed to find this life partner that we all seek. We've been through a lot of ups and downs together and that has really made our relationship so strong. We all have our challenges that we face in our life, and it's great to have that rock that we can lean on."

Laughing that he "completely disagrees" with her assertion that he is more stylish than her, he joked: "She looks amazing in anything she puts on, so of course when she asks, 'How does this look?' I'm like: 'You look amazing!'" As for her taste in what he wears, he revealed that his current short hair was not at her request - far from it.

"She likes my hair long," he said. "She likes that Tarzan, jungle boy, wants to live in Costa Rica all the time look, but, you know, I'm a city slicker. Plus I have to wear a helmet all the time, so it's kind of a convenience thing for me."

Giving a glimpse into their home life, Brady also revealed that he reads Dr Seuss to his children at night - because they are his favourite stories, rather than purely because his children enjoy them - and that the alternative causes some hilarity.

"We have a lot of Portuguese books in the house and those are… funny!" he told People. "My kids can speak Portuguese, but I can't read it, so I probably screw up half the words."

No comments:

Post a Comment