Friday, December 5, 2014

Zandra Looks Back - And Forward

Zandra Rhodes has been a recognisable name, and face, in fashion for almost 50 years, her chameleonic ability to transform and rebuild being one of her greatest assets. This weekend, she will unveil her first ever Brit-based retrospective - at the Clothes Show Live in Birmingham - but told us that even looking back is just another twist in her incredible tale.

"The time has flown by; however there is always a new challenge," she said. "Each time I think that the world has forgotten me, or passed by, or ignored my work - something key happens. In the mid-Nineties when no one was taking any notice, I decided to found The Fashion and Textile Museum, in particular to memorialise British designers who are in danger of being forgotten - and especially textile designers, who are the Cinderellas of the industry. When I was right in the middle of this project I was then asked to design sets and costumes for the Opera. Then, right out of the blue, John Galliano did his floaty, frondy chiffon collection which everyone attributed to me as the inspiration. Suddenly the world noticed me again!"

Zandra Rhodes
Famous for her use of print and vibrant, often experimental colours, Rhodes has her eye on several young talents of today.

"Mary Katrantzou has taken digital to new heights and Christopher Kane is a font of original ideas. It is so great to see such fantasy coming from the UK," she said. "I adore the power of textile prints to transform fabric and love the challenge of thinking up new prints and new ways they can be used. I feel there are still many women who need and look fabulous in a Zandra Rhodes creation, which is different from what the rest of the market has to offer."

And, far from using this retrospective as an ending to her fashion journey, Rhodes is forging ahead with the next leg of the trip.

"Because of technology things are moving at double the speed. One thing I do know is everything comes around again and it's my turn soon!"

Tickets to Clothes Show Live are now on sale and available at Clothesshowlive.com, priced from £29.

No comments:

Post a Comment