Friday, October 4, 2013

From Model To Photographer: Jill Kennington Exhibits

Jill Kennington  is one of the few who have managed to forge successful careers both in front of and behind the camera lens - and we have a preview of her forthcoming photography exhibition to share with you. She first started working as a model in the Sixties and has been shot by everyone from Norman Parkinson to David Bailey - what better training for her eventual career change.

"Having worked with so many renowned photographers, I could say that my favourites influenced me, without me knowing. I understand light and shape - I love it and the great people I worked with loved it, so it has been a sort of osmosis," she explained. "I didn't start taking pictures until I stopped being photographed."

Jill Kennington
Since the Eighties, photography has been her sole focus - and a number of her pieces are on display as part of the National Portrait Gallery's permanent collection. Now, a new exhibition, entitled Eye to Eye and dedicated solely to her work, is opening at the Young Gallery in Salisbury.

"I have always been interested in the photographic image, which is why I used to put 100 per cent into creating a great fashion shoot. I thought it was all magic," she told us. "As a photographer, I would say that I am interested in the inner person when doing portraits - the essence of them. In landscapes, I am interested in atmosphere and mood."

No comments:

Post a Comment