Thursday, July 25, 2013

Karl: “For Cate, I’d Do Anything”

Karl Lagerfeld created bespoke pieces for Cate Blanchett to wear in her latest film, the Woody Allen-directed Blue Jasmine. The Australian actress has long been a muse of the designer, and he didn't hesitate when approached to create costumes for her.

Blanchett plays Jasmine in the film, a New York socialite married to a financier, but who is left penniless when her husband is exposed as a fraudster. The film's costume designer, Suzy Benzinger, described how it was important that Jasmine had a wardrobe full of designer labels.

"As far as brands go, for Jasmine, it really was Chanel and Fendi," she explained. "Woody loves to have costumes in his films that speak volumes about history and fashion. I think as soon as I mentioned 'Chanel jacket' his eyes lit up and he said, 'Do you think we could actually get a Chanel jacket?' And I said, 'I think we could.'"

Cate in Chanel
And she did. Benzinger got in touch with Lagerfeld to request the pieces and was amazed at his speedy and generous response.

"I called up Karl Lagerfeld and, I have to tell you, I was astounded. I sent a note and in two days he shopped out two custom-made jackets for Cate Blanchett with the most beautiful note. And I just thought, 'Oh my God,' and he just said, 'For Cate, I'd do anything,'" Benzinger told Lucky magazine. "When the jackets arrived I said, 'How could he do this?' It was right during the fashion shows and everything and he turned them around and sent them to me. Cate put it on and it was perfect."

Blue Jasmine is slated to arrive in UK cinemas on September 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment