Thursday, May 26, 2016

Ventements To Show At paris Couture Week

French elevated streetwear label Vetements has been granted a guest membership to show at Paris Couture Weekin July, by the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture - France's governing body for the fashion industry.

The luxury label - with a much-hyped parodic aesthetic - has made the cut this season alongside J Mendel, Yuima Nakazato, Francesco Scognamiglio and Iris Van Herpen.

Demna Gvasalia - head designer and spokesperson for the brand, which operates as a design collective - took the helm of storied French couture houseBalenciaga in October 2015, and will no doubt draw upon his experiences there. "To go to this very beautiful couture house that has a heritage, to consider that and to merge it with my aesthetic is amazing," Gvasalia recently told The Telegraph. "I could never do there what I do at Vetements, but then again Vetements is not just me, it's all the people involved."


Gvasalia also addressed the premium price tags of his collections, admitting that he and his friends rarely buy the clothes. "My friends very often can't afford the clothes. Like myself, I wear prototypes but I don't think I'm crazy fashion enough to go and buy those things. I'd rather go on holiday. My ultimate goal is to be able to offer different things so the people who can't afford to buy a leather jacket can buy a trench."


Will leather jackets, shaved heads, re-appropriated logos and haute hoodies soon be gracing the Grand Palais? Find out at Paris Couture Week, which will run from July 3 to 7.

Gvasalia's brother and Vetements CEO Guram Gvasalia will be in conversation with Vogue's international fashion editor Suzy Menkes at the Vogue fashion Festival this weekend. Get your ticket here.

No comments:

Post a Comment