Thursday, May 12, 2016

Alber's Lanvin Tragedy

Alber Elbaz has spoken for the first time about life after Lanvin, referring to his exit as creative director from the storied fashion house as "my tragedy".

"Since I left Lanvin I have a huge scar. For the first couple of months, I walked around Paris and it was raining. I never knew if it was the rain or my tears," he told the audience who had gathered at The New School's Parsons School of Design to hear him speak, reports WWD. "If I ever find an interesting job that will make me want to wake up again, I'll teach every Friday and work one day in a hospital. There's no formula. But I don't want to think about Lanvin."


Elbaz's exit from the French fashion house last October was acrimonious, with the designer (who headed up the label for 14 years) finding himself forced to defend his work amidst poor-quality claims. During his talk this week, he recalled the dissatisfaction he always felt after "finishing a collection and being half dead and knowing that you're late with the next collection", before dispelling a common myth.

"People think fashion is one long party that never ends," he said. "It's a party, but it ends. The life cycle goes through highs and lows. I came here without a private car, without a secretary and without a public relations representative to tell me what to say. There's something quite fabulous about being free."

No comments:

Post a Comment