Thursday, March 17, 2016

Why Imitation Is Not The Sincerest Form Of Flattery

Contrary to the old adage, imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery according to Aquazzura founder Edgardo Osorio, who has claimed that one of his most famous designs has fallen victim to copyright infringement by Ivanka Trump's eponymous shoe and handbag label.

The Florentine cobbler made the claims on the brand's official Instagram account, highlighting the shoes it claims have been copied, stating: "One of the most disturbing things in the fashion industry is when someone blatantly steals your copyright designs and doesn't care. You should know better. Shame on you @ivankatrump! Imitation is NOT the most sincere form of flattery. #aquazzura #ivankatrump Proud of mine #madeinitaly #italiansdoitbetter."


Aquazzura is, admittedly, one of the most imitated brands right now. It's signature criss-cross cord laces and long tasselled ankle straps seen on the Christy and Wild Thing designs have sparked countless high-street reinterpretations, something which nearly all major designer brands have experienced at some point. Some designers, however, encourage the reproductions.

"I think it was Coco Chanel who said if you're original, be ready to be copied," Balmain creative director Olivier Rousteing told the Independent. "I love seeing a Zara window with my clothes mixed with Céline and Proenza! I think that's genius. It's even better than what I do! I love the styling, I love the story... I watch the windows always, and it's genius what they do today. They go fast, they have a great sense of styling and how to pick up what they have to pick up from designers. I'm really happy that Balmain is copied."

No comments:

Post a Comment