Thursday, March 17, 2016

Naomi Backs Leomie's Backstage Complaints

Naomi Campbell has backed models Leomie Anderson and Nykhor Paul in their criticism of make-up artists and hairstylists who aren't proficient or prepared when working with black models. The supermodel revealed that she was met with the same problems as a young catwalk model and said she found it "disappointing" that it was evident little had improved. 

"When I was younger, I encountered this same issue. I would be backstage at shows and there would be stylists who didn't have any experience working with black models," Campbell told Teen Vogue. "I'd always bring my own products - my own make-up colours, hair products everything - just to be sure that I had everything I needed to achieve a certain look. It's disappointing to hear that models of colour are still encountering these same issues all these years later."

Anderson, a British model who has walked for Tommy Hilfiger, Jeremy Scott and Victoria's Secret, was the latest to speak out on the issue, lamenting on social media: "Why is it that the black make-up artists are busy with blonde, white girls and slaying their make-up and I have to supply my own foundation?" Nykhor Paul - who also boasts a solid catwalk CV including Balenciaga and Vivienne Westwood - spoke out last summer to ask: "Why do I have to bring my own makeup to a professional show when all the other white girls don't have to do anything but show up? A good make-up artist would come prepared and do their research before coming to work because often you know what to expect, especially at a show."

"I think this issue only underscores the importance of what Bethann Hardison, Iman, and I are doing with Balance Diversity," Naomi said of her new fashion diversity initiative, which was created by Hardison's Diversity Coalition. "We're using our voices to encourage the industry to be inclusive of racial diversity. And this applies to everything, from casting models of colour to having the resources they need for shows, like hair and make-up."

No comments:

Post a Comment