Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Sports Illustrated Embraces Different Body Shapes

Ashley Graham has spoken about her delight at being chosen as the first plus-size model to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. The model graces one of a trio of covers - with Hailey Clauson and UFC fighter Ronda Rouseyappearing on the other two - which marks the first time that three different body shapes have been represented on the cover.


"I see my cover and I wanted to drop to my knees but this dress would've ripped and I have Spanx on underneath this," Graham, whose reaction on stage as the cover was unveiled made the audience laugh, told People. "I thought Sports Illustrated was taking a risk by putting a girl my size in the pages, but putting me on the cover? They aren't just breaking barriers; they are the standard now. This is beyond epic."


In 2014, the magazine chose three cover girls - Chrissy Teigen, Lily Aldridge and Nina Agdal - but they all appeared on one cover together and all conform to the usual body shape that has been seen in Sports Illustrated through the years.

'It's a real honour being part of such a historic issue that really pays homage to different body types of women and not promoting just one cookie cutter image for every woman, but showing that the healthiest version of every body type is the sexiest version out there," Rousey added. "And I couldn't be happier... I think I was just as honoured to get it as to be there in person to watch Ashley's reaction!"

No comments:

Post a Comment