"The categories of ready-to-wear and shoes have potential for growth in the future and are an important factor in building the lifestyle image that will help develop Mulberry internationally," said Mulberry's chief executive, Thierry Andretta, reports the Daily Mail. "Licensing the manufacture and co-distribution of these categories will enable us to deliver quality product, while achieving our target price range."
Andretta cited the brand's global potential when he was appointed in March last year by CEO Godfrey Davis. The new strategy is in stark contrast to the approach taken by former CEO Bruno Guillon to reposition the brand in a higher pricing bracket, which was widely criticised and was said to have damaged the brand's profits.
This latest news comes as the world prepares to see Johnny Coca's first mainline ready-to-wear collection for Mulberry during London Fashion Week on Sunday, February 21, following his pre-autumn/winter collection debut for the house.