Sunday, November 9, 2014

Galliano Loses Unfair Dismissal Case

John Galliano has lost his wrongful dismissal case against his former employers. The designer - who last November was granted the right to have his complaint heard in a labour court in Paris - was today ordered to pay both Christian Dior and John Galliano a symbolic €1 each as the court threw out his damages claim.

Galliano, who was in court to hear the verdict, had asked for damages of between €2.4 and €13 million for his dismissal in 2011. The designer asserted that, in knowing about his addictions, Dior and Galliano's parent company LVMH had a duty of care to him that they had neglected.

John Galliano
"The two companies were fully aware of my state I took Valium so I could get through fittings," Galliano said in French, WWD reported from the courtroom. "I can't let the 17 years I spent and enjoyed at Dior be blackened like this. During these years as creative director of this house, I did not realise that its success, multiplying its sales by four, came at a destructive and exorbitant cost: my physical and mental health. Always more work, always more obligations, always more pressure, a dangerous and pathological spiral, without control."

No comments:

Post a Comment