Thursday, June 30, 2016

Meryl´s Reveals Devil Wears Prada Inspiration

Meryl Streep has revealed the inspiration behind her character in The Devil Wears Prada. Whilst many believe that Streep's portrayal of fashion editor Miranda Priestly is largely based on Anna Wintour - who is rumoured to have inspired Lauren Weisberger's best-selling novel on which the film is based - the Oscar-winning actress has disclosed who she actually looked to when perfecting the character's idiosyncrasies.

"The voice I got from Clint Eastwood," she revealed in an interview with Variety, explaining that he "never, ever, ever raises his voice and everyone has to lean in to listen, and he is automatically the most powerful person in the room." It had the desired effect. Her co-star, Anne Hathaway, recalled that, at the first read-through, "When Meryl opened her mouth and basically whispered, everybody in the room drew a collective gasp. It was so unexpected and brilliant."

Streep's character's dry sense of humour ("The way the cruelest cutting remark, if it is delivered with a tiny self-amused curlicue of irony, is the most effective instruction"), she claims she "stole from Mike Nichols", who she has worked with on a number of films.

When it came to Priestly's appearance, Streep had two muses in mind. Carmen Dell'Orefice with her signature white bouffant hairstyle was one. "I wanted a cross between her and the unassailable elegance and authority of Christine Lagarde," Streep disclosed.


The actress also revealed a number of additions that she made to the film. "Getting the business of fashion scene in the movie," she said, referencing her famous monologue to Hathaway's character, Andy, about the impact of the fashion industry. "I also wanted a scene where she is without her armour, the unpeeled scene in the hotel room - just to see that face without its protective glaze, to glimpse the woman in the businesswoman."

Despite being an integral element of the film's success, Streep very nearly refused the role because of the initial offer the company made her.

"The offer was to my mind slightly, if not insulting, not perhaps reflective of my actual value to the project," she revealed. "There was my 'goodbye moment', and then they doubled the offer. I was 55, and I had just learned, at a very late date, how to deal on my own behalf."

While Streep seemed an obvious choice from the beginning, it turns out that Hathaway was not the original preference to play Andy. Fox originally pursuedThe Notebook actress Rachel McAdams, who turned the role down on multiple occasions.

"I had to be patient. I wasn't the first choice," Hathaway confessed. Remembering the moment she learned that she had been offered the role, she said, "I had some buddies over. I remember running out in my living room, half dressed, screaming, 'I got The Devil Wears Prada! I got The Devil Wears Prada!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment