Thursday, January 28, 2016

Why John Was The One

John Galliano´s arrival at Maison Margiela in October 2014 may have raised eyebrows initially, but the fashion house's owner, Renzo Rosso, has reiterated that he had no qualms about tapping the former Dior designer for the top job - even if Galliano himself needed some persuasion.


"All I was looking for was creativity and, for me, John is the only one. The best. That's why I wanted him," Rosso told The Business of Fashion. "He was surprised when I talked to him. He kept saying, 'Are you sure?' My answer was 'yes', because Margiela is a very particular company, one that a lot of brands take inspiration from. With Margiela gone, it needed a creative input of the very highest standard. John came to see the Margiela archive. He fell so much in love with it. From that night he kept saying to me, 'I never imagined I would design for another brand, but this is the brand for me.'

According to Rosso, and surprisingly for the rest of the world given Galliano's famous flamboyance, the anonymity that the brand is famous for fitted with the London-raised designer's new focus perfectly.

"What I find exciting about John is that he is still at the top of his creativity. He says, 'I am working just for a dream of beauty. I don't want to show my face, give interviews. I just want to create beauty!'," Rosso explained, also revealing Martin Margiela's own words of thanks at the headline appointment.

"He also said to me, 'Thank you for not bringing just another creative director to Margiela. You have brought a couturier.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment