Sunday, November 22, 2015

Why Grace Hates Instagram

Despite building a highly successful career in creating pictures, Grace Coddington has revealed that she hates another popular visual medium: Instagram. The AmericanVogue fashion director gave in and joined Instagram just over a year ago, despite her initial reservations, but admits she loathes the impact that it has on everyday life.


"I hate Instagram, actually," she told American Vogue. "I think it really interferes with people's lives and things and it's pathetic how everyone's photographing everything they're eating all the time. Everybody uses it instead of reading the newspapers these days. People want you to know that they're holidaying in Greece. I mean, really. The first one I posted, my whole account got taken down because I was naked, which was ironic: It's a goddamn cartoon!"


Coddington - who is currently promoting the reissue of her photography tome, Grace: Thirty Years of Fashion at Vogue - also spoke candidly about one of the most-talked-about shoots that she has helmed in recent years, with Kanye West and Kim Kardashian for the cover.

"Everybody thought that I was forced into doing it because they thought it was not very me, but actually, I'm the one that suggested it. Everybody was beating around the bush, and I said, 'Let's just do it. Let's embrace it.' That's who everybody wants to know about, so let's try to do it better than most people," she explained. "That's why I thought, have someone like Annie Leibovitz shoot it. It will give it a stature and a weight so that it won't appear like another tabloid piece."

No comments:

Post a Comment