Saturday, March 22, 2014

Remembering L’Wren Scott

Tributes  have started pouring in for L´Wren Scott, following the designer's death. She was found in her Manhattan apartment yesterday morning in an apparent suicide.

"Words don't fill the void I have for the loss of my dear friend L'Wren," musician and photographer Bryan Adams, told us. "She was an extraordinary talented beauty, who was dedicated to her man and the close circle of friends she had. I will miss her laugh and watching her walk, the grace... the height! We had many good times together, and some years ago I even photographed her for British Vogue. Fashion has lost an icon, and my deepest condolences to Mick and all that knew and loved her. She will be greatly missed."

Milliner  Stephen Jones, who knew Scott as a friend and colleague, also paid his respects. They first met in the mid-Eighties, when both designers were working at Thierry Mugler in Paris and became "firm friends."

L´Wren Scott
"Recently, we have had tremendous fun, each season collaborating on her own collections, exploring another fashion adventure, be it Tuxedo Terrace, Tea-Time or my personal favourite, Yorkshire Pudding," said Jones. "L'Wren's sense of dramatic glamour, long-limbed elegance and pizzazz was celebrated in an exhibition we launched in Qatar last November. She dazzled her fans with her charming vivacity as much as her exquisitely embroidered dresses. I am proud to have known her and have been able to call her one of my closest friends."

Make-up artist Bobbi Brown, who collaborated with Scott on a cosmetics line last month, was "devastated" at the news. "She was an incredible designer who I considered a friend," she said. "My heartfelt condolences go out to her loved ones."

Hairstylist Sam McKnight praised Scott's "passion for old-school beauty and style". "We shared a love of gardens and flowers, too," he told us. "I had the pleasure of doing the hair for her last two London shows, which were pure unadulterated glamour; and that is how I'll remember her - the ultimate glamour girl. We'll miss you L'Wren."

Photographer Bruce Weber launched Scott's modelling career, scouting her in her home state of Utah when she was a teenager. He brought her to Paris where she began working for Thierry Mugler and Chanel.

"It's hard to comprehend," he told  WWD"I adored L'Wren the moment I met her, took her picture and told her she was so special - she'll find her way in Paris. And she did. Ever since then I used to tease her that she had the most beautiful legs I had ever seen on any girl. I used to call her 'Pretty Legs'."

Scott's glamorous designs had a wide-ranging appeal, and were worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and Nicole Kidman - who was too "heartbroken and shocked to say anything", her spokesperson said on Twitter.

"There was a delight to her that is hard to imagine extinguished," said Parker. "She didn't reveal another side to me but, of course, we are all complex as human beings, and I wouldn't have claimed to be privy to that other part of late. She had discipline, skill and talent, and the recognition was an enormous source of pride for her because she waited so long and worked so diligently."

Supermodel  Naomi Campbell, who had known the designer since she was 17, described her as "the epitome of elegance and femininity, yet still had a girlish quality".

"We travelled the world together many times. L'Wren was someone I always loved," she said. "I will miss her honesty and I will miss her friendship. My heart goes out to Mick and all who loved her and were loved by her. May she rest in peace."

Christian Dior PR manager Sydney Finch also remembered the designer for her warmth - and also as the godmother of her daughter.

"L'Wren was my dear, dear friend, whom I loved," she said. "She was a beautiful, insightful, compassionate, generous and exceptionally talented woman. My heart is with Mick and all of her family. I will miss her always."

Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman said, "L'Wren Scott had a very clear notion of style which informed everything she did. It's not easy making the transition from stylist to designer, but every year L'Wren's recognition as a designer and creator of a brand was increasing."

On Twitter, Bianca Jagger was "heartbroken" at the news, saying, "My thoughts and prayers are with her family. May she rest in peace." Marc Jacobs commented, "Rest in peace, L'Wren Scott. You'll forever be missed."

Scott's partner of 13 years, Mick Jagger posted the following message on his website today:

"I am still struggling to understand how my lover and best friend could end her life in this tragic way," he wrote. "We spent many wonderful years together and had made a great life for ourselves. She had great presence and her talent was much admired, not least by me. I have been touched by the tributes that people have paid to her, and also the personal messages of support that I have received. I will never forget her."

No comments:

Post a Comment