Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Worst Thing About Being Beautiful

Victoria´s Secret and Prada model Lyndsey Scott has spoken very candidly about the best and worst things about being beautiful - and she is in a position to know, having, according to her, transitioned relatively recently from being a "geek" to someone who makes a living from their looks.

"The perks of being good looking: People offer me a lot more freebies, strangers talk to me more often, more people listen to me and laugh at my jokes, and I even have the occasional suitor... all good things," she shared. "On the other hand: would-be catcallers will sometimes skip the compliments and just call me a bitch as I walk by, some women (although very few) are very catty to me from the get-go, and many people are shocked to find out that I'm anything other than an airhead - that I was a computer science major, and that I program iOS apps, for example. Sometimes it all makes me very, very angry. Sometimes even a complimentary catcall can make my blood boil. Sometimes I feel as if I have to prove myself now just as I felt I had to prove myself then."

Lyndsey Scott
Scott - who describes herself as a "model, actress and app developer" - was prolific on the catwalk in 2010 and 2011, walking for Prada, Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Erdem, Diane von Furstenberg, Fendi and Gucci among others. But, despite her modelling success, she still finds her newly emerged beauty - and the perks that come with it - a difficult thing to accept.

"It's nice to now have that perspective rare to the newly beautiful - the world is a super-shallow place, yes, but it's pointless to take their snap judgements too seriously because no one deserves to be treated differently based solely on their appearance," she added on  question and answer website Quora. "When I need to feel most powerful, I'll do my hair, throw on a nice outfit, put on a bit of make-up and it helps a disgusting amount. In general, I feel extremely lucky to have been granted this new super-power. But when I'm home and completely myself, when my hair is a mess, when I'm wearing my now broken glasses with the tape in the middle, and I'm up coding at 3am, I could give my middle-school self a major run for her money. I have to wonder, why didn't they like me then when I'm still the same person now? Why do they like me now? How do I know that they like me now? Does anyone actually really even like me now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment