Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Why Karen's Catwalk Was Cancelled

Despite Karen Elson's incredible success and sought-after status, the supermodel has revealed that she was cancelled from a show at New York Fashion Week last month.

"I’m just going to say this: I was in New York Fashion Week and I got cancelled from a fashion show. It was something to do with body stuff," she revealed, as she explained that these days she favours working for brands for whom she can be herself, rather than adhere to someone else's standards. Without naming any names, she revealed that her reaction to the incident was a philosophical one.

"I had a real moment of truth. I was like, you know what, I’m too old for this. It’s not about me. That’s their attitude, not mine. If I don’t work for them, I’m not going to torture myself. That’s really my attitude right now," she continued to WWD. "I still think fashion has a long way to go as far as diversity, be it racial diversity, body type diversity. I think Instagram has helped. A lot has helped in getting different types of beauties in the fashion industry. But I still think, maybe now speaking as a mother — I’m a mother to a pre-teen girl — my attitude to the harsh price of being a model, I have really no tolerance for anymore. Someone cancels me from a fashion show, it’s not about me."


The model also revealed that contrary to the rest of the fashion industry's pre-occupation with social media, she is happy to hold back on personal details to ensure her private life stays private.

"If I post a picture of my children, their faces are never shown. I keep my personal life pretty private. There are snippets of my personal life, like my cats. They don’t mind being on Instagram," she continued. "The thing for people with Instagram to understand is it is an idealised version of yourself... I just try to keep it charming. Yes, I post personal opinions on there. Yes, I’ll post pictures that I like. But I’ll stop short of sharing too much because you’ve got to keep something to yourself. That’s my philosophy. I don’t think everything needs to be put out there. I don’t believe in it. I think you’ve always got to keep a little mystery."

No comments:

Post a Comment