Sunday, May 10, 2015

Formichetti: Fashion Is Behind

Nicola Formichetti is a pioneering sort. An early adopter of all things digital, the Diesel creative director is as passionate about its potential as he is frustrated with the fashion industry for being late to the party.


"I feel like, in fashion in general, we are so behind. People have an Instagram account and they think they're digital," the designer, who was one of the first designers to livestream a fashion show, told Adweek. "We have an establishment. Both the marketing side and design side are behind, I think. As far as marketing, I feel like magazines are still one of the only ways to communicate fashion, and I think that needs to change. I'm not saying magazines are dying, because they're not - you cannot go wrong with an incredible fashion story on paper. But we also should think of other ways to communicate."

Citing Meerkat and Periscope as the apps that are currently keeping the cogs in his brain turning, Formichetti also pointed out that technology isn't the only thing that he had the foresight to jump on board with; the designer was one of the first to collaborate with musicians - namely Lady Gaga.


"When I first started working with Gaga, everyone used to go against me, saying, 'You work in high fashion, you shouldn't work with a musician,'" he explained. "Back then, you could name only a few artists that were really collaborating with fashion designers, like Madonna with Jean Paul Gaultier and Björk with Alexander McQueen. So when I first started borrowing clothes for Gaga, people said no. They were like, 'Oh, I'm so sorry, we don't think she's right,' or, 'She's a bit crazy looking.' So I made stuff, and we had young designers make stuff for us. And that was how many years ago? Now, it's like as a performer you have to have a designer making stuff for you for the red carpet. And I love it."

No comments:

Post a Comment