Sunday, January 11, 2015

French Fashion Unites Against Terror

The French fashion industry has lent its vocal and visual support to the "Je Suis Charlie" campaign, asserting the need to protect freedom of speech in the wake of the terrorist attack on the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo on Monday, in which 12 people were killed.

"Freedom of expression is sacred. Stand united!" Francois-Henri Pinault, the chairman and CEO of French fashion conglomerate Kering said on social media, while designers from a range of major French houses stood alongside him.

"Freedom of expression is a core value of our civilisation and is central to any kind of creation, from comics to fashion," Dior Homme creative director Kris Van Assche told WWD "Beyond the horror and the shock of the dreadful news, freedom is at stake. As a citizen, as well as a creative director, I shall stand for it."

Jean Paul Gaultier
Givenchy's Riccardo Tisci was among thousands who posted the Voltaire quote: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Meanwhile Jean Paul Gaultier lined up with his staff on the steps of his atelier to display "Je Suis Charlie" signs in solidarity.

"It's horrible. I've been physically sick since Wednesday," Karl Lagerfeld added. "I think it's very bad for the image of Paris, though I'm very much against French bashing… They were very gifted people they killed. Cabu [Jean Cabut, one of the cartoonists murdered in the attack], he was incredible."

Karl Lagerfeld
Balmain's Oliver Rousteing summed up the shock and confusion currently engulfing his native country, but like so many others remained adamant that the actions of a few should not be allowed to force creatives to live and work in fear.

"As a French person, I was not expecting this in my country," Rousteing told WWD. "It's a really scary situation. I would never want to see my country divided by extremism. Today, there are some fears and a lot of sadness, but at the same time this tragedy has united people around the importance of being able to express yourself freely. I'm a French citizen. I love my country, and I never would want to see my countrymen afraid to express themselves. I am proud to see my fellow citizens affirm this basic right and happy to join with them."

No comments:

Post a Comment