Sunday, January 11, 2015

Alexa For AG

For Alexa Chung, 2015 could see the start of a new chapter - that of fully-fledged fashion designer. Having successfully taken on the roles of model, TV presenter and author, the start of the year sees the launch of the collection that she has designed for AG Denim, and it's a sign of things to come.

"I imagine, or I hope rather, that I will become a full-time designer," the Vogue contributing editor told us, revealing that her criteria is a specific one. "I choose brands to work with based on whether I get on with the people in charge there, whether it's a brand that I already like, and how they would define my role in the relationship. So, at this stage if it's something that I can have full creative control over I am more inclined to do it."

Alexa Chung
Creative control is something that Chung has never lacked, she is more than confident making her own style choices, especially when it comes to being an English girl in New York.

"I pray to Sixties icons such as Brigitte Bardot, Jane Birkin and Francoise Hardy - and I ask the internet for advice via Googling 'Jane Birkin'," she said. But despite the French influence, Chung has remained true to her British roots.

"Having lived in New York for half of my twenties the only thing that I think it has served to do is make me fonder, or at least more romantic, about British dressing. I made a conscious effort when I got here not to dress like a downtown New Yorker and I made sure I had a lot cable-knit jumpers and schoolgirl skirts in my wardrobe."

No doubt Birkin and Bardot were reference points for her retro-peppered AG collaboration, a collection that she hopes will become wardrobe staples.

"I just wanted to make clothes that I would be really happy wearing. As well as making my dream skinny jeans, I wanted to make vintage-inspired jeans that felt comfortable like modern-day jeans do, taking old-school silhouettes but making sure that the modern technology that we have today would make them wearable." And big denim no-nos? "Awkward camel toes, holes in the bum or unflattering back pockets and things like that."

So to mark the launch of the collection, who better to show us how it should be worn than the BFC-declared style icon herself? Click through a week's worth of AG-infused ensembles that Chung styled for us over the Christmas break for ultimate new-year inspiration.

The 20-piece Alexa Chung for AG will be available on Matchesfashion.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment