Saturday, October 18, 2014

Amber: How The Supermodels Treated Me

When Amber Valleta burst on to the fashion scene in the early Nineties she was seen as one of the new wave of supermodels, following in the footsteps of the girls for whom the name was invented. Contrary to stories of rivalry between the old and new model guard, Valletta asserts that the relationship was more than friendly.

Amber
¨Shalom (Harlow) and I were living together then, and one day she brought Kate Moss over to the apartment and was like 'I just met this cute little girl, we fell in love on this shoot, we're friends.' Kate didn't even have Calvin Klein yet!" she revealed. "The three of us would just kind of skulk around everywhere. Then the big girls - Linda, Christy, and Naomi - started being nice to us and showing us the ropes. It was so different - we probably weren't treated as well as models are now, but I don't think they have as much fun as we did."

The model-turned-actress also reflected on the pivotal moment of her career which, much like her predecessor Linda Evangelista, was when she cut her hair.

"When I was 18, I told [studio hair stylist] Yannick d'Is that I wanted to cut my hair short and he was like, 'No, no, no!' But he didn't realise how young I was," she told  Into The Gloss. "At the time, I had this bob and it curled under, I looked like a woman! Once he realised, he was like 'You're right, we have to chop it off.' So one day, we left a shoot, cut my hair off in my bathroom, and the rest is history. I was on the cover of Vogue a few months later."

No comments:

Post a Comment