Sunday, April 6, 2014

Why Helena Never Became A Brand

Helena Christensen never put her name to merchandise and spin-off collections in the way that some of her fellow supermodels did - but the Danish model doesn't regret that decision for a minute.

"I never did it, and I probably lost out on a lot of deals because of that, but it just didn't feel right," Christensen admitted during an interview to promote her latest collaboration with Triumph which is proof, if anything, that anything she touched would have turned to gold. "I always thought, 'OK, you've got what you need, you've saved up what you could, so now you can work on things that inspire you.'"

Helena Christensen
And in the same way, in this age of social media fame, Christensen is still happy to fly a little under the radar.

"I'm not ambitious in that regard at all," she told us of garnering followers and fans. "Whether it's modelling, photography, designing, whatever I'm doing, I like little intimate projects. Most of what I'm doing just now as a photographer is for little underground magazines - not something that everyone is going to see. When someone approaches me, and says, 'we have this great project, it will have millions of viewers,' I think, 'oh god, no! That sounds horrible!'"

A massive fan of lingerie - she has collected it for years - Christensen has learned that there's a lot more to lingerie than just looking sexy. Although that probably helps.

"I've really learned how different female body shapes are, and how many little details you need to consider when you're creating lingerie," she said. "How to enhance the parts of a woman's body that are beautiful, how to shape the parts that need to be shaped - and then how different we all are. I try not to create from just an aesthetic approach, but also consider comfort; the technical details are very important. It's the most feminine thing that you can put on your body, so it has to be right for a woman to feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment