Friday, May 19, 2023

Labrum London Is The 2023 Winner Of The Queen Elizabeth II Award

Labrum London is the 2023 recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Award for British Design. During an event at 180 Studios on Thursday, King Charles III presented founder Foday Dumbuya with the prize (established in honour of the King’s late mother) in front of the press, industry insiders and fashion talent, who were invited to celebrate the positive impact of the British Fashion Council Foundation and its initiatives.

His Majesty said in a speech before announcing Labrum as the winner: “I just wanted to use this moment to congratulate all those who I know are working so hard having been through their colleges and done all their courses, and received some help at least from the British Fashion Council Foundation. I do hope you do really well, and I shall be watching – from a distance.”

As the crowd whooped and cheered, a visibly emotional Dumbuya took to the stage. “Growing up in Sierra Leone, my deep love and appreciation for my country, the rich and vibrant culture inspired me to create Labrum,” he said. “I saw how fashion can be a powerful tool for self expression, cultural identity and economic growth. With that in mind, I set out to create pieces that are not only beautiful, but also empower local communities while preserving the culture,” he went on.


Dumbuya also acknowledged the dedication of “countless individuals who have supported me and my vision throughout my career”. The designer, who presented his striking autumn/winter 2023 collection in Brixton Village earlier this year, also thanked His Majesty, the British Fashion Council, his family, his wife, his team and friends. “I think this award is for all young British and Sierra Leonean kids who continue to dream. Please don’t stop dreaming.”

Founded in 2018, the Queen Elizabeth II Award for British Design spotlights designers “who make a difference to society through either sustainable practices or community engagement”, according to the BFC. The first award was presented by the late Queen to Richard Quinn, and it has since been won by Bethany Williams (2019), Rosh Mahtani (2020), Priya Ahluwalia (2021) and Saul Nash (2022).

No comments:

Post a Comment